Climate Change thread

1 hour ago, gaz678 said:

It's getting warmer that's a fact about time too don't like cold hard winters rather be in Spain. 

I'm not sure you would rather be in Spain. Some of their reservoirs were 15% full in February, imagine what they'll be like come August.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Nobody "...needs...." to use a car.

Cars are best for certain types of journey -but not for all. People undertake a range of of journeys types using a range of methods. For some a car journey is the most practical, sensible, convenient and cheapest way to go with no realistic alternative. For others totally impractical. For most there is a choice to be made.

Car usage  and car ownership should be considered differently. Most families have access to a car but don't "...need..." to use it every day especially when there are alternatives. It is the provision of alternatives and changes in habit that help to reduce car usage. 

As I tried to point out on my previous post, time is an issue. I and many other people have to be in several different locations during one working day, and that isn't possible using public transport as it takes too long. 

14 minutes ago, ads36 said:

this is no argument for not improving public transport.

which will reduce car use

making *your* car journeys a little easier.

I agree with that. I've been advocating improving public transport for a long time.

I'd use it where I could.

On 17/04/2024 at 09:33, Delbow said:

I'm not sure you would rather be in Spain. Some of their reservoirs were 15% full in February, imagine what they'll be like come August.

Yes, I'd give the Catalonia region a wide berth for any breaks this year. 

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/04/17/catalonia-tourists-may-soon-face-water-restrictions-but-swimming-pools-spared-as-climate-r#:~:text=The reservoirs for Barcelona and,drought regional authorities call historic.

I heard Paul Hudson speaking about this a couple of days ago.  Apparently, some of the Barcelona footballers are already complaining about "Third World conditions." 

Well try helping gentlemen by ditching the Bentleys, Ferraris & Lamborghinis for something smaller. 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2024 at 08:08, Annie Bynnol said:

Nobody "...needs...." to use a car.

Cars are best for certain types of journey -but not for all. People undertake a range of of journeys types using a range of methods. For some a car journey is the most practical, sensible, convenient and cheapest way to go with no realistic alternative. For others totally impractical. For most there is a choice to be made.

Car usage  and car ownership should be considered differently. Most families have access to a car but don't "...need..." to use it every day especially when there are alternatives. It is the provision of alternatives and changes in habit that help to reduce car usage. 

Try living in the French countryside with no public transport and the nearest decent shops 10km away. No bin collections from your property - rubbish taken to the nearest set of communal bins  often a km or two away.

55 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Try living in the French countryside with no public transport and the nearest decent shops 10km away. No bin collections from your property - rubbish taken to the nearest set of communal bins  often a km or two away.

Burn your rubbish and cycle to the shops. 

35 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Burn your rubbish and cycle to the shops. 

Ban on rubbish burning in  most of rural France due to fire risk. Don't fancy the 600ft climb uphill from the nearest shop on a bike carrying several days worth of shopping.

Edited by Longcol
  • Like 1