Climate Change thread

I hate cars, have never learned to drive (I'm now 65) and have always chosen somewhere to live that's walkable from railway stations/bus stops.

I most cases there really is no need. Just a personal choice.

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Ban on rubbish burning in  most of rural France due to fire risk. Don't fancy the 600ft climb uphill from the nearest shop on a bike carrying several days worth of shopping.

Do it secretly and go to the shop every day and remember if you go uphill you go downhill on the return.

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Do it secretly and go to the shop every day and remember if you go uphill you go downhill on the return.

Er no  - what don't you understand  about "Don't fancy the 600ft climb uphill  from the nearest shop".

On 17/04/2024 at 10:04, Anna B said:

As I tried to point out on my previous post, time is an issue. I and many other people have to be in several different locations during one working day, and that isn't possible using public transport as it takes too long. 

You made a choice and as I said "Cars are best for certain types of journey -but not for all".

4 hours ago, Longcol said:

Try living in the French countryside with no public transport and the nearest decent shops 10km away. No bin collections from your property - rubbish taken to the nearest set of communal bins  often a km or two away.

You made a choice and as I said "Cars are best for certain types of journey -but not for all".

On 18/04/2024 at 22:03, Baron99 said:

Yes, I'd give the Catalonia region a wide berth for any breaks this year. 

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/04/17/catalonia-tourists-may-soon-face-water-restrictions-but-swimming-pools-spared-as-climate-r#:~:text=The reservoirs for Barcelona and,drought regional authorities call historic.

I heard Paul Hudson speaking about this a couple of days ago.  Apparently, some of the Barcelona footballers are already complaining about "Third World conditions." 

Well try helping gentlemen by ditching the Bentleys, Ferraris & Lamborghinis for something smaller. 

Many in Spain want fewer tourists anyway, due to the pressure they are putting on their fragile resources https://news.sky.com/story/amp/thousands-of-people-in-canary-islands-take-to-streets-calling-for-limit-to-tourist-numbers-13119441

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

Obviously he is correct. It's all happened before.

The whole point is that this it has not happened before.  Nothing on Earth repeats itself in the same way.

There is no cycle- there are many cycles, each one with a different period, cause, and impact many of which interact to cancel each other out or compound the impact. qv Chaos Theory.

Then there are events which never repeat like location of volcanic activity, asteroid impact and the single biggest influence on our climate that is the position of so much land over the South Pole and the associated circumpolar current which together cause the current Ice Age with Inter Glacial periods caused by the cycles(Eleven significant ones so far identified).

What has never happened before is the addition of the accelerating activity of humans, which is having a measurable impact now with unknown outcomes in an extremely short timescale. 

Do avoid what the extremists and the deniers would have you believe but listen to cooler(!) minds and perhaps do some of those tiny things that may benefit us all,  And don't worry, the current best guess for coverage by an ice sheet will begin in 70000 years whatever we do.

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The whole point is that this it has not happened before.  Nothing on Earth repeats itself in the same way.

There is no cycle- there are many cycles, each one with a different period, cause, and impact many of which interact to cancel each other out or compound the impact. qv Chaos Theory.

Then there are events which never repeat like location of volcanic activity, asteroid impact and the single biggest influence on our climate that is the position of so much land over the South Pole and the associated circumpolar current which together cause the current Ice Age with Inter Glacial periods caused by the cycles(Eleven significant ones so far identified).

What has never happened before is the addition of the accelerating activity of humans, which is having a measurable impact now with unknown outcomes in an extremely short timescale. 

Do avoid what the extremists and the deniers would have you believe but listen to cooler(!) minds and perhaps do some of those tiny things that may benefit us all,  And don't worry, the current best guess for coverage by an ice sheet will begin in 70000 years whatever we do.

Totally agree.  

Of course the World has been hotter in the past & sceptics will use this as a counterargument but what we should be looking at is a baseline of recorded human evidence that started only in the 19th century. 

When I hear the likes of Paul Hudson quoting weather figures from Weston Park, apparently one of the oldest & continous set of figures produced not only in the UK but in the World, stating that the records show for the last 12 months that temperatures in our area have increased month on month above the long term average.  I tend to believe the likes of Hudson. 

Also one of the effects of global warming is milder & wetter winters & just look at the last 4 or 5 months.  Not a lot of snow or frost about. 

On 21/04/2024 at 16:09, Baron99 said:

When I hear the likes of Paul Hudson quoting weather figures from Weston Park, apparently one of the oldest & continous set of figures produced not only in the UK but in the World, stating that the records show for the last 12 months that temperatures in our area have increased month on month above the long term average.  I tend to believe the likes of Hudson. 

Also one of the effects of global warming is milder & wetter winters & just look at the last 4 or 5 months.  Not a lot of snow or frost about. 

But the sceptics could call that UK weather, not the global climate temperature.

The UK could easily become colder in a warmer world.

Global temperatures are certainly increasing at a worrying rate.