Climate Change thread

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

So, @Annie Bynnol, the Charity Commission is now satisfied that the organisation is compliant.

As an 'organisation'  it can do anything it wants within the Law, what it cannot do is take foreign money to operate a subsidiary to pump one sided propaganda and benefit from being a charity.  After requiring the charity to propose a whole series of changes “(the Charity Commission ) expect the trustees to now fully implement the proposed changes. On that basis, we are satisfied the concerns raised are now resolved.”

The key word is they "expect the trustees to now fully implement the proposed change"  i.e. and become compliant in not being biased, not misusing foreign money and not spouting bias.

My underline.

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

As an 'organisation'  it can do anything it wants within the Law, what it cannot do is take foreign money to operate a subsidiary to pump one sided propaganda and benefit from being a charity.  After requiring the charity to propose a whole series of changes “(the Charity Commission ) expect the trustees to now fully implement the proposed changes. On that basis, we are satisfied the concerns raised are now resolved.”

The key word is they "expect the trustees to now fully implement the proposed change"  i.e. and become compliant in not being biased, not misusing foreign money and not spouting bias.

My underline.

So long as 'the opposition' are subject to the same conditions.

On 06/09/2018 at 20:51, El Cid said:

I have just been reading some old threads about climate change, from 10 and 15 years ago; I didn't recognise the posters names, but I was thinking after all this time, more people will know of the science and believe it.

We had the pause in rising temperatures, so her is a graph from NASA showing temperatures still increasing.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/global-temperature/

And of course, if the global temperature is increasing, the sea level will be increasing.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

I guess people can argue that we have been subject to 'green taxes' and the temperatures are still rising, yes it may not make any difference, we can do better, doing nothing is not a good option.

Increasing numbers do believe in climate change, despite Donald Trump and lack of political action, have you changed your opinion?

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/uk-climate-change-real-accept-majority-global-warming-poll-finds-a7909841.html

It's OK us doing our bit what about rest of the world

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

So long as 'the opposition' are subject to the same conditions.

Surely that would only apply in this case if "the opposition" was claiming charitable status

Having read a great deal about weather and climate from many different sources, I find it impossible to reject the idea that the climate is changing, including micro climates.

I just reject the idea that there is an emergency or a crisis.

For now.

Impartiality and open peer review is important, the awarding of research grants to University's in the UK was discussed on time team early in the new century, it was mentioned at the time that if global warming wasn't mentioned you were unlikely to get a grant, GWPF encourages open peer review. Who can forget how Paul Hudson was pilloried for revealing the controversy around the university of east Anglia leaked emails.

8 hours ago, peak4 said:

Surely that would only apply in this case if "the opposition" was claiming charitable status

I suppose you are correct,  but any organisation requires funding and to my mind, it is interesting to see where that comes from. Semi-related, it is also interesting to see who funds surveys  of any nature.

35 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I suppose you are correct,  but any organisation requires funding and to my mind, it is interesting to see where that comes from. Semi-related, it is also interesting to see who funds surveys  of any nature.

I'm all for openness, especially in charities, and influence peddlers, peddlers.

4 hours ago, Uggy said:

Having read a great deal about weather and climate from many different sources, I find it impossible to reject the idea that the climate is changing, including micro climates.

I just reject the idea that there is an emergency or a crisis.

For now.

So you reject the science.