Climate Change thread

Guest sibon
1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Please do. And when you visit the rest of the world can you let me know how that's going too?

I have that in my diary for next year 

1 hour ago, sibon said:

South West France is on fire. I’m off there in September, I’ll let you know how burnt it is.

About  10,000 hectares of the Gironde and Landes are ablaze. That's 100 sq km.

https://www.sudouest.fr/gironde/bordeaux/incendies-en-gironde-une-nuit-encore-compliquee-le-point-ce-samedi-matin-11670021.php

Now if we take the area of SW France to be the old Aquitane region, that had an area of 41,308 sq km.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquitaine

That's a pretty minute percentage of SW France on fire.

It is unusual to have fires this early in France - May was the hottest on record with temperatures reaching 40C here in the Dordogne for a couple of days and forecast for the next couple of days. It's been over 30 for a fortnight and we haven't had any rain for 4 weeks although the chances of fires round here and much of the SW is minimal - as usual they're largely confined to the pine forests.

30 minutes ago, Longcol said:

About  10,000 hectares of the Gironde and Landes are ablaze. That's 100 sq km.

https://www.sudouest.fr/gironde/bordeaux/incendies-en-gironde-une-nuit-encore-compliquee-le-point-ce-samedi-matin-11670021.php

Now if we take the area of SW France to be the old Aquitane region, that had an area of 41,308 sq km.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquitaine

That's a pretty minute percentage of SW France on fire.

It is unusual to have fires this early in France - May was the hottest on record with temperatures reaching 40C here in the Dordogne for a couple of days and forecast for the next couple of days. It's been over 30 for a fortnight and we haven't had any rain for 4 weeks although the chances of fires round here and much of the SW is minimal - as usual they're largely confined to the pine forests.

Apart from that , it’s lovely 😊 

9 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Perhaps all the doubters will finally sit up and take notice now , From Australia to the Americas , Across Africa and Asia and now Europe the fires are spreading ,  climate change is now beyond doubt, we are now in a desperate situation unless temperatures drop within the next five or ten years .Get ready for the World population to start migrating North with our own Country being one on  the  fringe of this migration.     although the situation may include our own population looking for cooler climes in years to come .

Could this seriously impact on the football? :huh:

7 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

In Australia  ???? on the moors above Sheffield and Manchester .

I’d have thought that the lack of lit cigarette ends being dropped due to the smoking decline would have had a positive effect. 

9 hours ago, Mister M said:

Don't bank on it!

John Hayes MP, who was Minister, said yesterday that people taking precautions during heatwave are cowards and snowflakes!

Tory MP says ‘cowards’ taking heatwave precautions - ‘snowflakes’ (thelondoneconomic.com)

"This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting."

With views like that you'd be surprised to hear that he was a Minister at the Department for Climate Change! :o

But you won't be surprised to hear that he's a Brexiteer :hihi:

What's Brexit got to do with this? 

I enter the suspostion that you're one of the people mentioned in your signature.