Climate Change thread

12 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I wonder how these people would have coped in a  real emergency, like being bombed in WWII.

If a few fires is a "major incident", what would they call the Blitz ?

Modern society is populated by a load of wimps.

That hot take didn't really age well, did it.

London Mayor says yesterday was the London Fire Brigade's busiest day since WWII, with 42 homes destroyed. 1600 callouts as opposed to 150 on a normal day.

South Yorkshire Fire Brigade needing assistance from other counties to deal with their workload.

East Coast main line closed today due to fire damage at Sandy and Peterborough.

Obviously not a real emergency at all. 

Edited by Tyke02

I wonder how these people would have coped in a  real emergency, like being bombed in WWII.

Modern society is populated by a load of wimps.

All I'm saying is there is always an upside, well almost always.

What is it with British and the blitz? If it isn't worse than the Blitz it doesn't count?

People have lost their homes, are they the wimps? You need some help for that sociopathy.

15 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

What is it with British and the blitz? If it isn't worse than the Blitz it doesn't count?

Given the censorship and restrictions on free speech placed on society during that time...

...we all know who would've been the first to start complaining! :hihi:

Guest sibon

Put that light out.

12 hours ago, sibon said:

It was the hottest day ever recorded in the UK today. There are multiple fires ruining peoples property and endangering their lives.  Some of those fires are spreading through parched woodland and grassland. It has hardly rained for three months.

Feel free to trivialise if you like, let’s just hope that your properties aren’t amongst those that catch fire.  If they do, why not send the fire brigade away and just let them burn down, like they did in the blitz

You do know why major incidents are declared, don’t you?

Say what you want, modern society is wimpy, they overreact to everything. My point about how would they cope with something really serious (like being bombed in the war) stands.

TBH I think it is beyond the imagination of most people in this country, particularly under about 40, what it would be like to be bombed. Even thinking about it the would blow their minds (pun intended). If, back in 1940, Britain had the sort of population we have now they'd have made "peace" with Hitler, that's almost certain. And, in fact this is relevant today, because I reckon Putin was counting on the same "we cannot risk any (British) people getting killed" attitude so he could get away with invading the Ukraine.  Unfortunately for him the Ukrainians were made of sterner stuff, and the British don't mind sending weapons (so long as we aren't getting killed....).

44 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Given the censorship and restrictions on free speech placed on society during that time [WWII]...

...we all know who would've been the first to start complaining! :hihi:

I have answered this post on the Covid thread, here.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

People have lost their homes, are they the wimps? You need some help for that sociopathy.

Life is relative.

The last two days have been something and nothing compared with WWII, or even suppressing society for about two years.....

12 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

The Planets on fire ,or it was yesterday .

Except it wasn't.

Edited by Chekhov

16 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Say what you want, modern society is wimpy, they overreact to everything. My point about how would they cope with something really serious (like being bombed in the war) stands.

TBH I think it is beyond the imagination of most people in this country, particularly under about 40, what it would be like to be bombed. Even thinking about it the would blow their minds (pun intended). If, back in 1940, Britain had the sort of population we have now they'd have made "peace" with Hitler, that's almost certain. And, in fact this is relevant today, because I reckon Putin was counting on the same "we cannot risk any (British) people getting killed" attitude so he could get away with invading the Ukraine.  Unfortunately for him the Ukrainians were made of sterner stuff, and the British don't mind sending weapons (so long as we aren't getting killed....).

Hmmm... :huh:

The problem we have here Mr Chekhov, is that most of the people on 'anti-social media' like to think that they 'belong' to 'modern society'...

... so naturally, they are not going to agree with anyone who says they are 'wimpy and overreact to everything', no matter how true that is! :(

• Like 1

Guest sibon
51 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Say what you want, modern society is wimpy, they overreact to everything. 

<snipped, a load of ballcocks about the glory of getting young men killed>

I will bow you your obviously superior knowledge of overreacting.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

The last two days have been something and nothing compared with WWII, or even suppressing society for about two years.....

The appropriate comparison is not two days now versus the whole of WWII.  I expect that yesterday the UK suffered more damage than a day in the early part of WWII, before things really escalated. 

Edited by Tyke02

I'm sick of the public being blamed and lectured and penalised for just living their lives. We're doing our bit.

The onus is on the world's governments to sort this.

Start by tackling big business who can undo in an hour what we can do in a year.

Tax them. Level up. Legislate. Invest. Do what they're supposed to do, and tackle the problems properly. world wide, instead of dancing round the edges and picking on the easy targets.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1