Climate Change thread

Just now, Magilla said:

Said without a hint of understanding that in this case "their selective and often deliberate misinterpretation of data in order to establish a political view."...

...could well be a reference to your posts! :thumbsup: :hihi:

"so's your old man"  :)

3 hours ago, Magilla said:

Ozone levels in the atmosphere have been recorded for nearly a 100 years... using Dobson spectrophotometers. The British Antarctic Survey was taking measurements in the 50's.

Drops in Ozone levels were recorded long before 1978, satellite monitoring confirmed what was already known.

I know they were but I was specifically talking about the ozone hole that was originally mapped and detected by satellites which had never before been seen.

5 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

I know they were but I was specifically talking about the ozone hole that was originally mapped and detected by satellites which had never before been seen.

It wasn't detected by satellites, it was confirmed by them.

24 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

The effects of CFC's on ozone was already known.

Seasonal depletion of the ozone layer was already known .

The BAS ground station observed a non-seasonal depletion of the ozone over Antarctica but they did not know its extent.

NASAs Nimbus-4 carrying a specific sensor designed to 'see' ozone around the world and the artificial colour image (as we cannot see levels of UV light so the scale is converted into colours) became a media favourite known as the hole. 

All the ground stations in and around Antarctica, aircraft and balloons used far more accurate devices as did later satellites.

There is a misconception that satellites do everything-they don't.

They are phenomenally expensive, very small, less sensitive, difficult to adjust and are 'blind' to many measurements, often need calibrating and usually short lived, the are just one of many 'tool' used to make observations.