Climate Change thread

20 hours ago, sibon said:

I didn’t.

You might have some comprehension difficulties, but you really shouldn’t lie like this.

Maybe you could apologise and correct your “mistake”

Your post :

On 23/08/2022 at 08:30, sibon said:

Who is in favour of nett zero, in your opinion?

You are implying nobody, at least nobody on here, is in favour of nett zero. The further implication is that everyone on here has a pragmatic attitude to what we should do about "man made global warming".

If you are right is it not odd that none of those who have written posts from the climate change perspective (nor you) have answered the question as to if we should reopen, or keep open, our coal fired power stations ?

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Your post :

You are implying nobody, at least nobody on here, is in favour of nett zero. The further implication is that everyone on here has a pragmatic attitude to what we should do about "man made global warming".

If you are right is it not odd that none of those who have written posts from the climate change perspective (nor you) have answered the question as to if we should reopen, or keep open, our coal fired power stations ?

I implied nothing. I asked you a straightforward question and you replied by lying.

You don’t have the right to falsely ascribe opinions to others. 

It is a thing that you do far too often, despite many members of the forum asking you to stop doing so.

It is a dishonest way to try to advance your argument.

If you are happy to be considered to be dishonest and an habitual liar, than so be it.

Edited by sibon

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

None of those are short term* , so, bearing in mind the eye watering power bills that people are expecting (which many simply cannot afford), plus the possibility of power cuts if the wind doesn't blow or the rain does not replenish Norwegian Hydro reservoirs (or whatever), would you support reopening (or keeping open) some of the UK's coal fired power stations ? :

1 - No

2 - Yes but only for a limited period (and if so how long)

3 - Yes

* Insulation is not the panacea many people seem to think. We have a very well insulated house with a 3kW Solar system, in fact there is nothing practical we can do to improve it. And we only have our CH on about 4 hrs a day, and at only 20 degrees, yet our bills (still pegged at 2020 rates.....) were £1500 a year. I hate to think what they will be from next year, £4000 ?

Do you have a big house? Have never paid 1500 a year in my leaky Victoria terrace even with heating on all day.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

* Insulation is not the panacea many people seem to think. We have a very well insulated house with a 3kW Solar system, in fact there is nothing practical we can do to improve it. And we only have our CH on about 4 hrs a day, and at only 20 degrees, yet our bills (still pegged at 2020 rates.....) were £1500 a year. I hate to think what they will be from next year, £4000 ?

Just to clarify- are you saying you have the central heating on 4hrs a day now [august22]?

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Your post :

Not odd at all.

We come here to state whatever views we feel strongly about and not so that we can answer your questionnaires.

Somebody put you in charge????

3 hours ago, sibon said:

I implied nothing. I asked you a straightforward question and you replied by lying.

You don’t have the right to falsely ascribe opinions to others. 

It is a thing that you do far too often, despite many members of the forum asking you to stop doing so.

It is a dishonest way to try to advance your argument.

If you are happy to be considered to be dishonest and an habitual liar, than so be it.

You live in a parallel universe (when it suits you), thus this debate is pointless.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Your post :

Yes we should keep them open for the present, until alternatives are well established. Money needs to be poured into research and development. Too many vested interests are at work keeping the solutions out of reach to protect their own profits.

The 'greening' of Drax power station has been a big environmental mistake as it now creates more, not less CO2 if the shipping of materials from south America is taken into account. Again, no joined up thinking applied. 

We need power. But we are surrounded by energy in nature which can be harnessed. The alternatives are out there.

Edited by Anna B

46 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Not odd at all.

We come here to state whatever views we feel strongly about and not so that we can answer your questionnaires.

Somebody put you in charge????

I never said anyone had to answer the question (should we reopen - or keep open - coal fired power stations) but the fact nobody on the "climate emergency" side of the debate has actually answered that question (AFAIK) speaks volumes. The reason, of course, is :

1 - To say yes, we should keep open coal fired power stations, is the start of the slippery slope down to back sliding on the nett zero by 2050 target.

1 -  On the other hand, to say no we should not keep open coal fired power stations would, in the current "price emergency" (and possibly keeping the lights on at all) seem extreme to most people. And therefore that side of the argument would lose credibility because people would see the "climate emergency" types are extremists.

Thus answering the question is a lose lose for climate emergency wallahs and therefore they are not keen to answer it.

Edited by Chekhov

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You live in a parallel universe (when it suits you), thus this debate is pointless.

What is that supposed to mean?

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I'd suggest that most people live in a parallel universe relative to the one you appear to inhabit...