Climate Change thread

15 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

The manifesto on which the Conservatives won a landslide election victory in 2019 included a pledge to reach nett zero by 2050.  That is how the democratic process works, not by straw polls of anonymous people on local internet forums.

It's certainly how politics works.  :) They won't be around in 2050, to make good on their campaign "pledges".

The "Paris Accord" countries "pledges" are meaningless already, given their abject dependence on Russian Oil and Gas Fossil Fuels, which they can not end anytime soon without major disruptions to their economies, and the basic well being of their coddled populations.

Nobody knows what is going to happen in 30 years.

But the third world majority populations, want the goodies enjoyed by the selfish minority "West".

They won't be dissuaded by 2019 pledges from status quo Western politicians from getting their own Industrial and Technical Revolutions.

The good news?

It could turn out that the predicted catastrophic global warming turns out to be just another doomsday forecast from the usual suspects, one more scam designed to funnel $trillions to their global socio-political ends.  :)

Edited by trastrick

38 minutes ago, trastrick said:

It's certainly how politics works.  :) They won't be around in 2050, to make good on their campaign "pledges".

The "Paris Accord" countries "pledges" are meaningless already, given their abject dependence on Russian Oil and Gas Fossil Fuels, which they can not end anytime soon without major disruptions to their economies, and the basic well being of their coddled populations.

Nobody knows what is going to happen in 30 years.

But the third world majority populations, want the goodies enjoyed by the selfish minority "West".

They won't be dissuaded by 2019 pledges from status quo Western politicians from getting their own Industrial and Technical Revolutions.

The good news?

It could turn out that the predicted catastrophic global warming turns out to be just another doomsday forecast from the usual suspects, one more scam designed to funnel $trillions to their global socio-political ends.  :)

There are fully qualified 'Futurists' who are employed to forecast trends and shifts in populations and the direction of travel in the sciences. Plenty of books on the subject too. Global warming for example was predicted back in the 1980's

The future is not the blank page you suggest. 

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

There are fully qualified 'Futurists' who are employed to forecast trends and shifts in populations and the direction of travel in the sciences. Plenty of books on the subject too. Global warming for example was predicted back in the 1980's

The future is not the blank page you suggest. 

There are "fully qualified futurists" ?  :)

I know of Nobel Prize winning, Economists, Political Scientists, Environmentalists, Scientists and Foreign Policy Experts, but when you drill down, they only have "opinions" on the future.

Occasionally, some of them turn out to be right!, but.......   :)

Lot's of books, too.

Paul Erlich's famed "The Population Bomb" was a noted example.

And, of course Nobel Prize winner Winner Al Gore's "Earth in Balance", "An Inconvenient Truth", at al.

Edited by trastrick

13 minutes ago, trastrick said:

There are "fully qualified futurists" ?  :)

I know of Nobel Prize winning, Economists, Political Scientists, Environmentalists, Scientists and Foreign Policy Experts, but when you drill down, they only have "opinions" on the future.

Occasionally, some of them turn out to be right!, but.......   :)

Lot's of books, too.

Paul Erlich's famed "The Population Bomb" was a noted example.

And, of course Nobel Prize winner Winner Al Gore's "Earth in Balance", "An Inconvenient Truth", at al.

Hmmm... :huh:

I wanted to be a 'fully qualified futurist'...

... until I was told I'd need to have a crystal ball! :shocked:

15 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

I wanted to be a 'fully qualified futurist'...

... until I was told I'd need to have a crystal ball! :shocked:

And fortune telling always seems to end up having to cross somebody's palm with silver!

Follow the money, as always. :)

A shout out to the Gyspies, who perfected the fine art!

Edited by trastrick

I wonder how many climate change activists are secretly pleased the price of energy has sky rocketed ? Are there any on here honest enough to admit it ?

After all expensive energy is what is needed to get consumption down, never do I remember being told so frequently to turn ones heating down etc. Like that one degree colder is going to make all the difference.

12 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I wonder how many climate change activists are secretly pleased the price of energy has sky rocketed ? Are there any on here honest enough to admit it ?

After all expensive energy is what is needed to get consumption down, never do I remember being told so frequently to turn ones heating down etc. Like that one degree colder is going to make all the difference.

You’ve no need to wonder.

Just make something up,  and pretend it is evidence.

Thats what you usually do.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

After all expensive energy is what is needed to get consumption down.

It is strange that eco warriors of the Green party are not on the news talking about the potential of this crisis.

Solar and wind turbines should be made compulsory on new and social housing.

No one is pleased about high prices, because it's making most of us poorer.

My solar panels help me a little, I would love a small wind turbine in my small back garden.