Climate Change thread

12 minutes ago, El Cid said:

It is strange that eco warriors of the Green party are not on the news talking about the potential of this crisis.

Solar and wind turbines should be made compulsory on new and social housing.

No one is pleased about high prices, because it's making most of us poorer.

My solar panels help me a little, I would love a small wind turbine in my small back garden.

Not sure about the wind turbines but agree about the solar panels 

35 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not sure about the wind turbines but agree about the solar panels 

I only want a small one, generating electricity for 10+ years, how come more people aren't doing that already?

Do wind turbines make much noise when they’re working.  If people did start to have mini turbines in their gardens just wondering if they could keep you awake at night if they make a swoosh sound when in operation. 

Edited by hauxwell

11 hours ago, El Cid said:

I only want a small one, generating electricity for 10+ years, how come more people aren't doing that already?

I believe any wind turbines, even small ones, require council planning permission, and you know how slow and expensive that can be, especially in Sheffield.

And don't they contain magnets that can cause  harm?

Edited by Anna B

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe any wind turbines, even small ones, require council planning permission, and you know how slow and expensive that can be, especially in Sheffield.

They used to sell them in B@Q.

Don't know if they still do......

4 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Do wind turbines make much noise when they’re working.  If people did start to have mini turbines in their gardens just wondering if they could keep you awake at night if they make a swoosh sound when in operation. 

That could be an issue if the bearing in the turbine is worn or the turbine is large and designed for a rural area.

If we could get to a stage where people could have a set up which allowed them to cheaply install turbines.

People build these drinking sheds in their gardens, they are noisy.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Wind turbines, solar panels and electric car components, motors and batteries are mostly manufactured in fossil fueled factories in Asia.

Like cheap clothing and sporting goods.

A case of out of sight, out of mind!  :)

But a wind turbine in the back yard is not possible for everyone. It's also a regressive step.

Modern society has taken advantage of "economies of scale" to bring the comforts of prosperity to Western households, which are taken for granted.

Gas and Electricity, clean water on tap, telephone, television and internet communications, foods of the World, clothing, furniture and appliances by mass production, distribution, or broadcasting.

Technology has not advanced to the point where the infrastructure forthese services can be replicated in individual homes. Most "homes" in the World are incapable of such installations in any event.

A Windmill in your back yard, is as practical as a water well, chickens or a cow in your backyard, even if you happen to have a back yard.

And, of course, all these "clean" products are manufactured in some other country where the use of fossil fuels is producing all this stuff. Wind turbines, solar panels, elctric car components, batteries.

The climate change movement is a elitist global political, anti-capitalist crusade, advocating massive wealth tranfers, and fundamental changes to the World's economies. Read "The Green New Deal" in it's entirety.

They will assure you that at a cost of up to $100,000,000,000,000.00) they will be able to fine tune the Earth's climate to within one or two degrees in 50 or 100 years.

Of course the elitist advocates (you know who they are) won't be bounds by the rules they want to set for you. They need their private jets, and million dollar yachts to spread the word about the coming catastrophe, and to go back and forth to accept their global Peace Prizes and Humanitarian Awards from their global elitist friends.

Even the Paris Accord countries "need" their Russian fossil fuel Oil and Gas :)

Unfortunately there are enough political and financial vested interests, and a gullible population who won't question the logic, rationale, or even the misrepresentation of what the "science really says".

But question it all, and be prepared to be a social outcast, be labeled a "denier", and worse.

This is a very uncivil economic, political and cultural war.

And they take no prisoners! :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, El Cid said:

It is strange that eco warriors of the Green party are not on the news talking about the potential of this crisis.

Solar and wind turbines should be made compulsory on new and social housing.

No one is pleased about high prices, because it's making most of us poorer.

My solar panels help me a little, I would love a small wind turbine in my small back garden.

If climate change activists are not pleased about sky high energy prices it can only be because they have not realised the inevitable direction of travel of the policies they support.

The only way to reduce demand for any product, certainly in a democratic free market economy, is to increase its price.

We have solar panels. When they went in (Summer 2019) I calculated that unless they put significant value on the house they would never pay for themselves. However, with the massive increase in energy bills that may well no longer be the case !

We do feel a little hard done to because we paid top whack for them, no subsidy and we even had to pay the VAT, which I believe has now been removed (though it should never have been on them in the first place anyway). It was even more frustrating because we only had them put up to compensate for the fact we did  a lot of flying, then look what happened ! The last flight we took was Dec 2019 ! !

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

We do feel a little hard done to because we paid top whack for them, no subsidy and we even had to pay the VAT, which I believe has now been removed (though it should never have been on them in the first place anyway).

If we had more wind turbines and 90% of houses and factories had solar panels, the poor and businesses would be in a much better place.

Incentives are needed to bring about change, even oil companies are incentiveised to exploit oil fields.

Our energy costs are going up and Russia is burning off large amounts of natural gas each day according to the BBC News.  The gas would have been exported to Germany, they think Russia couldn’t sell it elsewhere.

I think Greta should have a word with Mr Putin about climate change and his carbon footprint,  polluting the atmosphere with all of that gas being burnt every day. She’s been a bit quiet lately. Send her to Russia.