Climate Change thread

6 hours ago, trastrick said:

Remember the unsightly and innefficient TV antennas that were hung on every rooftop?

They solved that by the simple expedient of cabling the signals.

That's why I say that windmills in the "backyard" is a regressive step for society.

At the extreme you would have your own miniature wind turbine, your own water well, and maybe even a few chickens in your back yard. But most folks don't have back yards. A limited solution for the few.

It's basically question of energy efficiency. 

You can plop a solar panel of different shapes, on everybody's rooftop and wire it up, (most folks have rooftops) or you can develop centralized solar farms and feed the electricity to the homes by transmission lines and local mains (hopefully buried).

Services are best, and most efficiently provided by centralized distribution, whichever source of power is you choose to generate it.

Antenna/aerial (Freeview)I can receive over 200 national and regional radio and TV channels. On all the TV's.

In Sheffield we have had two failed attempts at cabling and the third fibre cabling is under way. 

Chekhov will know if the superfast fibre optic is worth connecting to as through my telephone line(147 mbps download speed) I can get tens of thousands of global, international, national and regional radio and newspapers, magazines TV channels on all the devices.  Mind you unlike the young I can only focus on one broadcast at a time.

Advocating a monopoly is anti-capitalist as well as historically proven to be inefficient, expensive and a bar to innovation. The Communist, Fascist State or company monopolies on providing services  has never ended well for the consumer and taxpayer.  

Centralized distribution is flawed in oh so many ways depending largely on Government policy and investment q.v. electricity national grid is creaking due to age and a non-existent water grid. It is also old technology and prone to catastrophic failure.

On 27/08/2022 at 12:11, Jim117 said:

From what I’ve been reading Russia’s problem is that it exported the majority of its energy to Europe via existing infrastructure. It has little in the way of pipelines to export to China and the cost of building pipelines from the producing regions would be vast and take years to build. The alternative is convert gas to LNG and ship it by tanker but again there’s a catch. Russia has no partners to help with this since it burned its bridges with the likes of Shell, BP and Exxon. Also the route by sea would be prohibitively time consuming and require a tanker fleet that does not exist. So the current situation would seem to be a double edged sword with no parties being winners at the moment.

That was an interesting read didn’t know any of that. I just heard on the news Russia is burning over 8 million pounds  of gas each day because they can’t sell it and they have know were to store it.

21 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Antenna/aerial (Freeview)I can receive over 200 national and regional radio and TV channels. On all the TV's.

In Sheffield we have had two failed attempts at cabling and the third fibre cabling is under way. 

Chekhov will know if the superfast fibre optic is worth connecting to as through my telephone line(147 mbps download speed) I can get tens of thousands of global, international, national and regional radio and newspapers, magazines TV channels on all the devices.  Mind you unlike the young I can only focus on one broadcast at a time.

Advocating a monopoly is anti-capitalist as well as historically proven to be inefficient, expensive and a bar to innovation. The Communist, Fascist State or company monopolies on providing services  has never ended well for the consumer and taxpayer.  

Centralized distribution is flawed in oh so many ways depending largely on Government policy and investment q.v. electricity national grid is creaking due to age and a non-existent water grid. It is also old technology and prone to catastrophic failure.

Unless it's well managed by folks who know what they are doing  :)

But in my view, the government is the biggest, most innefficient monopoly ever created.

It runs an economic enterprise and budget, that dwarfs any private corporation.

They are not accountable, except for the few elected figureheads that come and go without a real clue of how it all works.

The real wheels of the government, that affect you and I, is run by bureaucrats.

When was the last time you had a chat with your Prime Minister?

They have an unlimited purse, and can borrow all they say they need with no real accountability.

(until the bills come due. And they are coming due in the West, about now, I would say, to hear all the crisis moaning!)  :)

19 hours ago, sibon said:

I’ve not seen those before.

Thanks😁

Israel are pioneering roads that generate electricity from traffic and also pavement that do the same by people walking on them.

https://www.greenprophet.com/2009/04/innowattech/

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

That was an interesting read didn’t know any of that. I just heard on the news Russia is burning over 8 million pounds  of gas each day because they can’t sell it and they have know were to store it.

Not sure if that is actually true as natural gas is already stored below ground and does not just spew out uncontrollably. It is extracted in a controlled manner like oil is by drilling into a reservoir/gas well.  All it then needs is for that extraction process to be lowered so not as much gas is extracted. Russia is probably burning some off as a two fingered gesture to those who are short of supply.

Edited by Dromedary
forgot link

57 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Israel are pioneering roads that generate electricity from traffic and also pavement that do the same by people walking on them.

There are days when I wonder why I bother with this place. 

Today is not one of those days😁

Thank you. That is really interesting.

1 hour ago, Dromedary said:

Not sure if that is actually true as natural gas is already stored below ground and does not just spew out uncontrollably. It is extracted in a controlled manner like oil is by drilling into a reservoir/gas well.  All it then needs is for that extraction process to be lowered so not as much gas is extracted. Russia is probably burning some off as a two fingered gesture to those who are short of supply.

I think you could be right about the two fingered gesture.  

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That could be a planet saver if it is true , and I sincerely hope that it is, BUT,   the date of that report is  APRIL 1st

😁

Magnificent