Before bathrooms

alba

Yep, sounds all too familiar - but we were posh, we had a Tilley lamp instead of a candle!.:) I'd forgotten the spiders but you're dead right Billam. Here is a photo of the back of our long-gone house.

We used to visit my grandad,s farm at Thurlby near Newark. There was no electricity, a handpump in the sink for water, just up a flight of stairs was the toilet, it was a long piece of wood with two holes that you sat on, I had this awful thought of two people side by side using the toilet but I loved staying there.

I can't honestly remember our bath at home. I do remember my Nans though. She lived near upperthorpe baths. The toilet was in the yard with torn up bits of newspaper. The bath was a tin one that was put in front of the fire. As I was the youngest, I got the used water, my sister got the clean stuff! I can't remember the name of the road, all I remember is that it was a steep cobbled hill. As for a date, mid to late 60's.

My Daughter still thinks I'm making it up. She thinks tin baths went out in the 1800's :hihi:

Around 1939 the lower Manor Estate had inside bathrooms (an offshoot of the kitchen) and a inside toilet, I also seem to remember a small coal place next to the toilet in a short corridor that was a offshoot through the back door.

Every room except the living room (coal fired) was cold in winter

Click on this link for more

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor,_South_Yorkshire

Whoops, I did not use the quote button,

this post is a reply for "ianparkin"

Edited by alankearn

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, sounds all too familiar - but we were posh, we had a Tilley lamp instead of a candle!.:) I'd forgotten the spiders but you're dead right Billam. Here is a photo of the back of our long-gone house.

You had a nicely painted door though.. Just before we emigrated to Australia in 1968, we had a little two up and two down, no bathroom, toilet and coalhouse outside, when it was freezing outside and I needed to go toilet, I would have to put the kids coats and gloves on to take them with me, and we would all squeeze in there, I tried to judge it when my hubby was home, the good old days..

Some houses on the flower estate had a bath in the kitchen - not a bathroom but just in the corner area with board over to cover it when not in use. The toilet was reached from outside but the back wall of it butted up the side wall of the bath area so it wasn't separate to the house - it was part of it. It was c1965 that they had an extension built to accomadate a new bathroom and the kitchen itself was made larger by using the old toilet and bath area.

• 1 year later...

I grew up in our Cottage with no Bathroom. Outside loo was down 13 steps, along a path, then round the corner of the Coal House. ( Thank goodness for the poe )  It was 'Top & Tail' during the week, an extra one if you were going out. And as for most of us, Sunday night was Bath night in front of the fire with the Tin Bath.  The Towel and Nightdress warming  on the rug by the hearth. Then a cup of hot milk and a bicci. Lovely!  It was just the way life was for us back then wasn' t it, we didn't know any different. My Mum's landlord  got a grant and had her a bathroom fitted in 1978, I was married by then.

We had no bathroom until the mid 70's, used to have a block of four outside toilets with green ledged and braced doors, inside was white washed walls with a high level WC and a rusty toilet roll holder, bath time was a tin bath dragged in from outside (after you'd knocked the snow off it in winter) placed in front of the gas fire and filled from the wall mounted gas boiler with buckets, the side by the fire got so hot you couldn't go near it and the bath leaked so newspapers were placed on the flor.

White privilege.