Knife attacks in Sheffield 2018

haddy

Definitely no logical fallacy there!

We should also consider what we are trying to achieve by having those rules in place, and are they achieving that objective, and also consider other consequences of those rules.

I hope we are heading towards legalisation of cannabis and other drugs (cannabis for starters though). Agree with other posters, it's bound to have a positive effect; reducing gang activity and knife crime.

As I said it is my opinion. Everybody is entitled to one. It doesn't mean I am right or wrong! Unfortunately some who post on here think their opinions are the only ones that are right. Most of the recent stabbings don't seem to be drug related so I am not sure how legalising drugs solves the problem.

1920 gang war people were stabbing shooting fighting.

Drugs had nothing to do with it.

And only some of the recent stabbings are drug related.

I am bored with this now.

If people don't carry knives and don't stab people we don't have a problem, irrespective of the motive.

Edited by drolnhoj

In 2010 South Yorkshire had 2,953 officers.

In 2017 they had 2,459.

Now that's an interesting stat. We know forces up and down the country aren't investigating certain crimes at all. Policing the motorways have changed with the influx of cameras everywhere so that must make a difference. Is South Yorkshire's safety or lack of it down to 500 coppers?

You say "500 coppers" like it's a small number.

That's a decrease of nearly 20%

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:15 ----------

Interesting opinion. I guess we could also legalise robbery, burglary, fraud and load of other issues and we would suddenly have a crime free world. I wonder which political party would come to power on that manifesto?

My opinion is, if we have rules then people should live within them until those rules are changed.

Or you could make breathing illegal and we'd all be criminals, what's your point.

There's nothing inherently immoral about using drugs, clearly, the pubs are full of people using alcohol and the streets full of people using nicotine.

I had to get my caffeine fix today, or I get cranky, probably not stabby, but definitely cranky.

I was supporting an argument for changing the rules, you haven't made an argument against it, just a circular reference back to the rules that were already mentioned.

Edited by Cyclone

Well given it's spread over the entire county, it doesn't sound a lot. Did we need more because South Yorkshire has become more violent? Would the addition of 500 be enough?

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:20 ----------

Or you could make breathing illegal and we'd all be criminals, what's your point.

There's nothing inherently immoral about using drugs, clearly, the pubs are full of people using alcohol and the streets full of people using nicotine.

I had to get my caffeine fix today, or I get cranky, probably not stabby, but definitely cranky.

I was supporting an argument for changing the rules, you haven't made an argument against it, just a circular reference back to the rules that were already mentioned.

But, short of a direct attack on your life, nothing would make you stabby. You aren't a stabby person. Neither am I. Are we looking to legalise drugs and ignoring the fact people are getting more stabby? It might be over drugs but it's just as likely to be over a postcode, girlfriend (or boyfriend if the hillsborough incident is anything to go by) or perceived lack of "respek".

Cyclone, change your name to typhoon. Drugs have been sold and used since the 60's. Multiple stabbings is a fairly recent phenomenon! What is your point. As I said I am bored. No further posts from me on this subject, where your hot air seems to be, in your opinion, the only the correct view. :loopy:

It's entirely practical to legalise all drugs. Not necessarily to sell them in Tesco, but a doctors could prescribe them to addicts and pharmacies could supply them safely.

Legalising drugs is one thing but no doctor or pharmacy is going to prescribe or supply any substance that has not been thoroughly tested for safety. This would cost millions. The obvious exception are the synthetic opioids (heroin, oxycontin, etc) of course, which were developed (and currently used) as analgesics.

Heroin withdrawal makes people do extreme things, but cannabis as has been mentioned in this thread does the opposite.

I don't think there's a strong link between drugs and stabbings, not users anyway.

Perhaps this is a turf war amongst suppliers though? I've seen nothing to support that speculation though.

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:24 ----------

Cyclone, change your name to typhoon. Drugs have been sold and used since the 60's. Multiple stabbings is a fairly recent phenomenon! What is your point. As I said I am bored. No further posts from me on this subject, where your hot air seems to be, in your opinion, the only the correct view. :loopy:

It wasn't me that suggested a link between them. I only commented on the fact that legalising drugs would be pretty easy to do. :roll:

Hilarious that you think drugs were sold and used since the 60's... More like since time immemorial.

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:27 ----------

Legalising drugs is one thing but no doctor or pharmacy is going to prescribe or supply any substance that has not been thoroughly tested for safety. This would cost millions. The obvious exception are the synthetic opioids (heroin, oxycontin, etc) of course, which were developed (and currently used) as analgesics.

Cannabis is prescribed for medicinal use in quite a few places now, and the obvious opioids you've already mentioned.

The cost would be far less than the ongoing failed 'war on drugs' and the huge cost to society of untreated addiction.

This is probably the wrong thread for it though, and the arguments have all been presented in other threads in the past. We can take it up in one of those threads if you want.

---------- Post added 23-09-2018 at 20:29 ----------

Well given it's spread over the entire county, it doesn't sound a lot. Did we need more because South Yorkshire has become more violent? Would the addition of 500 be enough?

Did we need more? Well, we certainly didn't need less did we. And that's what we got. 20% less, spread all over the county, but presumably 20% less in Sheffield just like everywhere else in the county.