Is it time to split the country?

Scotland could go if we get a hard brexit, lord knows what's going to happen with northern Ireland regardless of the brexit. No brexit could see mass protests in the UK. Do we give a little chunk of England to the little englanders?

I fully expect the Nudden Oirish and the Oirish Oirish to start protesting, leading to rioting, leading to stabbing, leading to shooting, leading to blowing each other up.

It won’t be pretty, but it’s the democratic will of the democratic people of the democratic UK apparently and anything less would be a dictatorship

I'm not just thinking letting Scotland or Northern Ireland go - that's small beer. The country is split over brexit. Not, geographically, mores the pity, as that would have helped. The country is split in other ways, economically, culturally - the south doesn't understand the north at all.

Is it time to shake hands and go our separate ways? I'm not sure where the border would go by the way, I'm open to suggestions. Other countries have split, why not the UK?

indeed

freedom for yorkshire!

I'm not just thinking letting Scotland or Northern Ireland go - that's small beer. The country is split over brexit. Not, geographically, mores the pity, as that would have helped. The country is split in other ways, economically, culturally - the south doesn't understand the north at all.

Is it time to shake hands and go our separate ways? I'm not sure where the border would go by the way, I'm open to suggestions. Other countries have split, why not the UK?

I can't see how splitting the country would benefit anyone. We're already split in umpteen different ways:

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland.

North / South divide.

Labour, Conservative, Liberal, Green etc.

Brexiteers and Remainers.

Town and Country.

Employed / Unemployed.

Young and Old

Rich and Poor.

I don't think we can take any more divisions. We should be looking for things that unite us.

I can't see how splitting the country would benefit anyone. We're already split in umpteen different ways:

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Southern Ireland.

North / South divide.

Labour, Conservative, Liberal, Green etc.

Brexiteers and Remainers.

Town and Country.

Employed / Unemployed.

Young and Old

Rich and Poor.

I don't think we can take any more divisions. We should be looking for things that unite us.

You missed a few that are perhaps relevant to many recent arguments.

Smoker/Non smoker

Decent behaviour/don't give a toss

Unable to work/don't want to work

Law abiding/criminal

Saver/Spender

Responsible/entitled

Seriously, I agree with you, I would hate the UK to break up. I'd guess the majority of us don't realise how varied our genealogy might be. Because I've looked at our family's, I know my roots are mainly Scotland, and for years considered myself a Scot, However, I have English and Irish ancestors, plus my DNA shows a link to Europe. My OH had English parents, was born in England, but we've found Irish family way back. Our surname suggests he has Scandinavian heritage from Viking times.

Perhaps the best option would be for all those who wish to Remain in the EU to Leave the UK for any EU paradise state?

I'm aware that many people did actually threaten to Leave after the democratic outcome of the referendum was known, but I don't believe that any more than a tiny handful have left.

EU nationals meanwhile continue to flee here, fully aware that the UK is Leaving the EU next year. Perhaps we can have the EU nationals who want to Leave the EU, while the EU paradise takes our Remainers?

Let Northern Ireland go?

I can think of quite a few reasons why that wouldn’t go down too well....not small beer either.

As for the rest - ridiculous suggestion that wouldn’t work socially, economically, safely or logistically etc

Part of it is the concept of the Union, and that is an axis between unionists in NI-Scotland-England.

If Scotland goes then the concept of union is shattered with the lynchpin of the whole thing out of the picture. The union flag is gone. There is no coherent single state on the island of Great Britain anymore. The geography of it all would look pretty strange, and NI would be just across the sea from a Scottish state that would be nailed on to join or at least closely integrate with the EU.

I think quite possibly something entirely unexpected could result from this. With England and Wales completely surrounded by what is effectively the EU.

What direction would Northern England head if that happened. In time it would gravitate from the south to the arc of the EU surrounding it.

We could build a wall that separates us that want our country back and out of the EU ,and the Remoaners who still want to cosy up to the Europeans . Happy days .

---------- Post added 24-09-2018 at 10:47 ----------

the countrys already split...the idiots and the not :D

Bit harsh on the Remoaners Mel.