£8,000 a month care home fees.

Both you and the council think £8,000 per month is too much money, yet you think the council should contribute towards the costs?

Its a similar situation with housing benefit, there is a rate which the council will pay, but it won't pay for people on benefits to live in a mansion.

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 06:32 ----------

How much are they paying, £15 per hour and I would think about moving.

As I said in my original post, the fault lies not with the council but with the care home - or rather with the rip off merchants behind them that forces them to charge this sort of fee.

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 10:05 ----------

Figures suggest that the fees at this care home are nearly double the national average.

The reported council offered contribution in this case appears to be around the national average.

Should this couple be looking at cheaper alternatives?

There may be reasons why this care home is used: maybe a cheaper alternative is not available, all other places are full ,(cheaper places fill up fast) or won't take dementia cases (a lot don't,) or it has to be close to the family, or has a special facility. It's not always straight forward.

---------- Post added 25-09-2018 at 10:09 ----------

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

You've said this before, several years ago care home fees were extortionate.

And then it was demonstrated over a number of months how care homes were going bankrupt and closing because they couldn't actually afford to stay open!

The problem lies higher up the chain, a problem with the financial arrangement these homes operate under- similar to PFI.

Care in care homes is not even that good in some cases. Nothing justifies this charge of £8,000 a month. Nothing.

IMO we need to get back to Council run care homes, not run for profit.

Edited by Anna B

As I said in my original post, the fault lies not with the council but with the care home - or rather with the rip off merchants behind them that forces them to charge this sort of fee.

The home is owned by a charitable housing association - Methodist Homes - so is highly unlikely to be making a vast profit - certainly no vast sums going into the pockets of owners / shareholders.

24/7 nursing care never comes cheap.

https://www.mha.org.uk/care-homes/nursing-care/cedar-lodge/

I would imagine the land cost a pretty penny in that part of the world.

The kicker is, if I've read it right, according to the council AND the family, one of the couple doesn't need to be there at all so the council aren't contributing to one of them at all.

If I've read it correctly, it is all about what might happen when their funds reach the threshold.

Currently, they are self-financing.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/couple-who-been-together-70-15182831

Edited by cgksheff

The kicker is, if I've read it right, according to the council AND the family, one of the couple doesn't need to be there at all so the council aren't contributing to one of them at all.

Which seems eminently sensible. I bet if this was reversed and it was a wealthy ex professional and the council was paying for both when they only had to pay for one there would be outrage from the opposite end.

Damned if you do etc. But hey we can spin this as mean heartless capitalism so all's cool....

That's the way i read it.

I admit it probably isn't ideal for him or the family BUT that isn't societies problem or the councils.