Life expectancy now going down.

This is bizarre. You understand that life expectancy isn't a limit or a set target right? Every year people die who are younger than the average life expectancy, and others exceed it.

Yes, I know, but I think about it in the same way as, say, London weighting in pay scales, ie, pay is adjusted upwards in London to allow for higher costs etc

Shouldn't similar weighting be applied to those living in areas with lower life expectancy for them to retire earlier?

Yes, I know, but I think about it in the same way as, say, London weighting in pay scales, ie, pay is adjusted upwards in London to allow for higher costs etc

Shouldn't similar weighting be applied to those living in areas with lower life expectancy for them to retire earlier?

So do we take the extra pension they'll have had from them if they "beat" the life expectancy of their area?

And when people move a year before retirement to such an area and then retire early...?

Thought you didn't like loopholes?

Hmm interesting actually, however I think the rising of the retirement age could be seen almost like a tax for a service you may not use i.e. we all need to work longer so that some of us can enjoy the support provided. Similar I suppose to people in London having to pay a higher amount of tax, because they are getting paid more (I think it might work like that, but not 100%), even though the cost of living is higher.

Your idea would also create a massive loophole whereby people could work in an area with a low retirement age and then migrate to a place with a high life expectancy. This would help to overcome issues like flu and cold spells, but probably wouldn't be hugely effective against pollution levels. Diet and lifestyle choices are I guess two main variables within our control (at least until genetics is).

Edit: Wow, while I was typing a few more replies were posted. I thought of the phrase "loophole" all by myself, I promise!

Has it not?

Haven't we all been told that retirement age has to go up 'because we're all living longer.'

I recall this being said many times by Tory politicians. It was their go-to excuse for putting the retirement age up..

It's been adjusted once, only recently, to go up because life expectancy has increased massively.

Life expectancy stalls for the first time in what, 100 years, and you immediately think that pension age should go down again?

Do some research.

And when people move a year before retirement to such an area and then retire early...?

Thought you didn't like loopholes?

Actually it's more of a rhetorical point rather than a workable solution.

I think Pension age should be 65 across the board. We already work the longest in Europe at 66. The french retire at 60, the other EU countries between that and 65.

I know people who are fighting fit at 70 and (rather more,) people on their knees at 60. Health definitely declines with age and 65 is about the right average, beyond that a lot of people are really struggling.

In the Netherlands, the retirement age is 68 years old.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 20:33 ----------

I know people who are fighting fit at 70 and (rather more,) people on their knees at 60. Health definitely declines with age and 65 is about the right average, beyond that a lot of people are really struggling.

So if people are living longer, many are, their pension needs more funds.

In the Netherlands, the retirement age is 68 years old.

---------- Post added 26-09-2018 at 20:33 ----------

So if people are living longer, many are, their pension needs more funds.

Men 79, women 82 current life expectancy.

I don't think 15 to 17 years rest and relaxation is too much to ask after probably 45+ years of work and contributing to society. And many pensioners continue, with family responsibilities and voluntary work.

Edited by Anna B