Life expectancy now going down.

Actually it's more of a rhetorical point rather than a workable solution.

I think Pension age should be 65 across the board. We already work the longest in Europe at 66. The french retire at 60, the other EU countries between that and 65.

I know people who are fighting fit at 70 and (rather more,) people on their knees at 60. Health definitely declines with age and 65 is about the right average, beyond that a lot of people are really struggling.

France is 62 not 60...

Greece Ireland Iceland Netherlands Norway all more than 65..... We fact check your pronouncements you know... We've experience of these matters...

France is 62 not 60...

Greece Ireland Iceland Netherlands Norway all more than 65..... We fact check your pronouncements you know... We've experience of these matters...

I stand corrected, it went up from 60 to 62 this year (2018. You must have looked at a more up to date source than me.)It's still 4 years less than here. I found a link on Wiki giving a world picture which is interesting.

I stand by my other comment though. 65 seems about right. After 45 years at work, 15 years retirement seems fair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement_age

Edited by Anna B

I stand corrected, it went up from 60 to 62 this year (2018. You must have looked at a more up to date source than me.)It's still 4 years less than here. I found a link on Wiki giving a world picture which is interesting.

I stand by my other comment though. 65 seems about right. After 45 years at work, 15 years retirement seems fair.

It isn’t about fair though, Anna. It is about affordable.

I’m retired in my mid 50s, but I’m not touching my pension. I decided many years ago that I didn’t want to work into my 60s and planned accordingly.

You either take what is given, or do something to change things. The state pension age is going to go up and up. The answer is for individuals to save for themselves in addition to the pension.

It can be done.

And you are also on agreement that we don't have the highest retirement age in the EU as well?

Is an increase in the UK of an average of 10-12 years since 1960s massive?

Yes.

For men it's gone from 67 to 77. That's a 15% increase.

But more important it's an increase in pensionable years from 2 to 12. Now you're not going to argue that a 500% increase in length of time claiming isn't massive are you?

The state pension age was 65 for men and was 60 for women between 1948 and April 2010.

In 1948 when it was introduced the life expectancy for a man was 66. 1 year of claiming, on average!

Anna seemed surprised to learn that the pension age hadn't been changed in line expectancy until 2010 (despite that being massive news at the time), the change hasn't even finished working it's way through the system yet, but she's calling for it to be reduced again based on a single year of stagnation of life expectancy.

If pension age had been linked to life expectancy when it was introduced in 1948 it would most likely now be about 77.

---------- Post added 27-09-2018 at 08:18 ----------

It isn’t about fair though, Anna. It is about affordable.

This.

Somebody has to pay for it, and as life expectancy has increased massively the pension has become an increasing cost to those still working.

I think Pension age should be 65 across the board. We already work the longest in Europe at 66. The french retire at 60, the other EU countries between that and 65.

Looking at this chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement_in_Europe

Sweden 66

Norway 67

Netherlands 68

Ireland 66

Iceland 67

Greece 67

In France the retirement age is to be increased gradually to 67 years by 2023

Looking at this chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retirement_in_Europe

Sweden 66

Norway 67

Netherlands 68

Ireland 66

Iceland 67

Greece 67

In France the retirement age is to be increased gradually to 67 years by 2023

So the French will actually be retiring later than we are. Our retirement age isn't going to increase to 67 until between 2026 and 2028.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/pensions/changes-to-state-pension-age/

The baby boomers are now into retirement, so we have this big increase in the number of pensioners. They will say that they paid taxes and now they expect to have the state provide for them. In practice, it will be the tax payers of today that pay for that - the baby boomer's taxes were not saved away for them.

So each taxpayer has more retired people to support than previously. Those retired people are also the ones to ride the massive increase in house prices and often are sitting on a lot of property wealth.

Both those things are seen as rather harsh on the young people of today.

Britain is quite reliant on inwards migration to fill the job vacancies and increase our tax revenue (each european migrant contributes £1.34 for each £1 received back from the state). They do the social care work looking after the pensioners.

With the Brexit we will have lots of job vacancies and lower tax take. We can see that the country will need people to retire later, not earlier.

As older people tended to be those that voted Brexit, I'm sure they won't mind working longer in order to help make their blue passport dreams a success.

Owen Patterson MP (Conservative) has suggested that pensioners could be put to work in the fields after Brexit. As they will work slower, he says they could be exempt from the minimum wage.