Life expectancy now going down.

The baby boomers are now into retirement, so we have this big increase in the number of pensioners. They will say that they paid taxes and now they expect to have the state provide for them. In practice, it will be the tax payers of today that pay for that - the baby boomer's taxes were not saved away for them.

So each taxpayer has more retired people to support than previously. Those retired people are also the ones to ride the massive increase in house prices and often are sitting on a lot of property wealth.

Both those things are seen as rather harsh on the young people of today.

Britain is quite reliant on inwards migration to fill the job vacancies and increase our tax revenue (each european migrant contributes £1.34 for each £1 received back from the state). They do the social care work looking after the pensioners.

With the Brexit we will have lots of job vacancies and lower tax take. We can see that the country will need people to retire later, not earlier.

As older people tended to be those that voted Brexit, I'm sure they won't mind working longer in order to help make their blue passport dreams a success.

Owen Patterson MP (Conservative) has suggested that pensioners could be put to work in the fields after Brexit. As they will work slower, he says they could be exempt from the minimum wage.

Lol - I'd love to see the Daily Mail website go into meltdown over pensioners complaining about having to do agricultural work at less than the going rate :hihi:

Interesting that Paterson, who himself is coming upto retirement age hasn't chosen to lead by example by getting off his backside to work in the fields.

The baby boomers are now into retirement, so we have this big increase in the number of pensioners. They will say that they paid taxes and now they expect to have the state provide for them. In practice, it will be the tax payers of today that pay for that - the baby boomer's taxes were not saved away for them.

So each taxpayer has more retired people to support than previously. Those retired people are also the ones to ride the massive increase in house prices and often are sitting on a lot of property wealth.

Both those things are seen as rather harsh on the young people of today.

Britain is quite reliant on inwards migration to fill the job vacancies and increase our tax revenue (each european migrant contributes £1.34 for each £1 received back from the state). They do the social care work looking after the pensioners.

With the Brexit we will have lots of job vacancies and lower tax take. We can see that the country will need people to retire later, not earlier.

As older people tended to be those that voted Brexit, I'm sure they won't mind working longer in order to help make their blue passport dreams a success.

Owen Patterson MP (Conservative) has suggested that pensioners could be put to work in the fields after Brexit. As they will work slower, he says they could be exempt from the minimum wage.

The Baby Boomers were paying the pensions of the previous generation as is always the case. Your generation will be paid for by your children etc. I hope AI, robots, and automation don't decimate the workforce to such an extent that there will not be enough workers paying in, but this is something governments will surely have to look into.

As for housing, pensioners would be more likely to move if there was suitable accommodation for them to move into at an affordable price, but bungalows etc are thin on the ground and comparatively expensive.

AS for working in the fields - well good luck with that. You seem to forget pesioners retire generally because they are too old to work. If they can work why wouldn't they continue in well paid jobs rather than do physical hard labour for less than the minimum wage?

Daft idea from a typical Tory...

I wonder if it is going down due to the generally unhealthy lives that people started to live after the war years- lots of smoking, drinking, little regard for or knowledge of good nutrition. They will all reaching old age.

It will prob continue to decline until the youth of today start getting on a bit who reportedly are shunning drink and drugs and living healthier lifestyles than previous generations

The Baby Boomers were paying the pensions of the previous generation as is always the case.

Aye. Lots of working Baby Boomers paying the pensions of fewer old people.

Now there's lots of retired Baby Boomers who want their pensions to be payed by comparatively fewer young people and who have also burdened those young people with the costs and loss of working protections that will come with Brexit.

It's not going to be practical to lower the retirement age as well.

It isn’t about fair though, Anna. It is about affordable.

I’m retired in my mid 50s, but I’m not touching my pension. I decided many years ago that I didn’t want to work into my 60s and planned accordingly.

You either take what is given, or do something to change things. The state pension age is going to go up and up. The answer is for individuals to save for themselves in addition to the pension.

It can be done.

Good for yourself so I assume you had a well paid job or your own business. Sadly many folk just manage to exist, their wages just about covering their family living expenses, with nowt left to "save for themselves."

Angel1.

Good for yourself so I assume you had a well paid job or your own business. Sadly many folk just manage to exist, their wages just about covering their family living expenses, with nowt left to "save for themselves."

Angel1.

Sadly Angel the saying of" I'm alright Jack "always prevails in most people .

Where does that saying cone from? Who's Jack?:confused:

From Here:

The phrase is believed to have originated among Royal Navy sailors, where a ladder was slung over the side of a ship, and when the last sailor climbed on board he would say, "I'm alright Jack, pull up the ladder". The use of the name "Jack" derives from Jack Tar, an archaic term for a British sailor. Another variant of the story depicts the origin of the phrase among sailors returning home from duty who, instead of being treated as brave heroes, were forced to fend for themselves in a dog-eat-dog society.