Scorching coffee

I drink coffee, I believe that...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. I drink coffee, I believe that...

• You can't 'scorch' it with just-boiled water
    • You can 'scorch' it with just-boiled water
    • Other (explain)

Throughout my adult life I've frequently come across people who either add milk first when making instant coffee, or let the kettle cool a little before pouring, for fear of 'scorching' the coffee.

As I'm sure there'll be a few on here who do this, I'd like to ask what's behind the thinking on this? Do you have any reason for believing it?

As far as I'm aware you need to hit around 190°C just to slowly roast coffee, boiled water is less than 100°C so the maths doesn't appear to support 'scorching' this way.

I have read, however, that coffee made from real beans can release bitter oils if used with just-boiled water. Maybe this developed into a myth about scorching the coffee.

EDIT: Looks like I've given two options the same in the poll!

Could a mod kindly alter the second one to "You can 'scorch' it with just-boiled water" please?

I let the kettle boil for obvious reason . I add milk or most times also add a bit of cold water. My reason for this is.! I dont have an asbestos tongue. :roll:

I prefer to take the advice of pretty much every article and source on coffee I've ever seen that says not to use boiling water.

I think you should have read the process a bit further, the process is generally the same as for other coffee types... But then it goes on to be turned into coffee (probably not actually drinkable) and then it's freeze dried and turned into granules.

I can't find anything specific to instant, but a) why risk it, b) why drink it at all?

You are so money supermarket :rolleyes:

I let the kettle boil for obvious reason . I add milk or most times also add a bit of cold water. My reason for this is.! I dont have an asbestos tongue. :roll:

You don't have to drink it as soon as you pour it :P

There are a great many things that people will claim you should and should not do when it comes to tea and coffee making/drinking. All of it as far as I can tell is largely meaningless. However, I think that tea and coffee making and drinking is a ritual. I think people like and need ritual and having a cup of tea made through a specific method at the same time of day gives people some comfort or structure.