Old farts from the 40 s.Do you remember these kids pastimes?

Do any of you guy's remember making small clay containers ,letting them dry ,then using them to burn material like rotted wood,or stuff that would just glow and smoulder?

I seem to remember we would run with them to make them glow.

I dont remember what the point of the pastime was.

We also used to use a tin can with holes.put the same combustable material inside attach a wire sling and whirl it round to make it glow.

The things we did to entertain ourselves.

I suddenly remembered these things as I was passing a dead tree that had been felled by the wind, and seeing all the dead wood in the trunk.

I remember those times very well. We even had a special place where we dug out blue clay as we thought it would not crack in the oven when baked it.

Talking of cracks, that is what we got if we made a mess in the cast iron oven from our Mom.

We called these little wood burners 'Touchy Wood Burners'. To make tinder to light the wood in them we used to seal a cotton flour bag in a tobacco tin and then heat in the oven.

You could then light it with a spark and as Sweetdexter says it would be swung round in a tin can to get it to give a flame ready for the burner.

This all sounds ridiculous now but I have a old friend who was in a German POW camp in Northern Poland for 4 years and they used the same methods to light a stove after they had pinched any wood from the billets to get warm and make a brew.

Happy Days??

Well, there were 27 of us living in one room with a great big hole in t'floor. We all had to huddle together in one corner for fear of falling! :)

Sorry, I don't mean to take the pis* or cause offence. It just sounded like a cue for Monty Python's timeless "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch.

Just after the war. At the Army & Navy stores at Firth Park you could buy these white Baraclava hemet things that were used by Gunners to protect them from the gun flash..They were only

2 pence and it became a craze at the time to wear one of these,and I remember gangs of white hooded young lads on foggy nights running around the streets like the Klew Klux Klan.

Also "Kites" they were forbiden from 1939 to 1945..and when they became legal again..everyone went mad and kites of all descriptions were made from brown paper, newspaper, cloth or anything ..My Grandad "Walter Gill" made my first kite out of the Sheffield Telegraph..and a split garden cane..I can remember seeing hundreds of kites flying over Concord Park..The kite that flew the highest was one made by a Shiregreen lad called Arthur Senior.

We called them winter warmers kids like fires, anyway it was something to do,remember in the 40,s we did not have tv electronic games computers money etc made our own amusements remember there was a war on.

Archived