Old farts from the 40 s.Do you remember these kids pastimes?

Originally posted by coyleys

Any of you remember making slopdosh pies, or going to catch frogs then putting a straw up its back side and blowing till it went pop.

I can't believe that could possibly be a fond memory for anyone. That's just plain horrible and bordering on psychotic :loopy:

What did you do for an encore - drown a kitten?

Originally posted by mojoworking

I can't believe that could possibly be a fond memory for anyone. That's just plain horrible and bordering on psycho :loopy:

What did you do for an encore - drown a kitten?

No, he pulled the straw out and watched the frog fly about like a deflating ballon :rolleyes:

Alright artisan, seeing as nobody else is to attempt to explain 'Kick can' I'll have a go. First of all it was better played when it had gone dark. You got a tincan, then everybody playing tried to kick it as far as they could. The kid who kicked it the shortest distance was 'it', or was the first minder of the can. The can is then put on a spot.

Everybody else runs and hides. Now the minder of the can has to find or spot one of the others, as soon as he does he has to run like the clappers and kick the can away from the spot and go and hide. O.K so far?

Now, in between times if one of the original 'hiders' can run in and kick the can off it's spot it makes it more difficult for the 'minder'. There might've been slightly different rules, but I think thats about it.

The bit about the old flash hats makes me remember the other head gear which was very popular from the army and navy stores, the leather ex RAF flying helmets. Loads of lads used to have these as warm winter hats in the late 50s, some complete with headphones, these would be worth an absolute fortune to vintage aircraft nuts today.

• 10 months later...

Archived