Allergies today..

You may be talking about medically verified allergies, but this is not how the thread started and it is the original post that I’m referring to.

The thread started just mentioning allergies and until your first post nobody had mentioned anything to indicate they weren't talking about medically verifiable ones.

Hay fever has been around forever as both my brother and I can testify. I developed a strange one about 15 years ago to Tetanus vaccine, I have to carry a card in my wallet. I have since had injuries that would normally require a shot, but I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Lol

It's when you get hay fever in the winter that people look at you strangely and tell you you've got a cold or, in the case of my eyes running when on the sports field, telling me to pull myself together.

It wasn't until later years, when I didn't get hay fever mostly every day, that I was told that it was perennial rhinitis which caused me all the misery in my childhood.

It's when you get hay fever in the winter that people look at you strangely and tell you you've got a cold or, in the case of my eyes running when on the sports field, telling me to pull myself together.

It wasn't until later years, when I didn't get hay fever mostly every day, that I was told that it was perennial rhinitis which caused me all the misery in my childhood.

You are correct, the term hay fever is rarely used over here, it's environmental allergies. I had those tests you mentioned earlier and I was told that I was allergic to grass, trees, ragweed and dust mites, which is basically what I suffered with in England. When I first came to Canada they went away for a few years, but returned a few years back

Do you mean allergies whereby you come out in a rash, or more serious whereby you have convulsions and need intravenous antihistamines?

Is one somehow less valid than another?

---------- Post added 05-10-2018 at 09:32 ----------

perennial rhinitis which caused me all the misery in my childhood.

Which as you know is a complete PITA and I hope you dont have it any more. I had it and it was basically every day stick a nebuliser up my sinuses :(

Is one somehow less valid than another? (

If we are debating whether allergies are more common, it's relevant. I got a rash as a child with rubbing Vicks on my chest, but I don't tell people I suffer from allergies.

If we are debating whether allergies are more common, it's relevant. I got a rash as a child with rubbing Vicks on my chest, but I don't tell people I suffer from allergies.

Thats because you havnt described what an allergy is though...

The thread started just mentioning allergies and until your first post nobody had mentioned anything to indicate they weren't talking about medically verifiable ones.

Nobody mentioned either way, it was another post that stated...'We're discussing medically verified honest to goodness life threatening allergy here', when actually the thread didn't state medically verified or not and neither did I, I never referred to any specific allergy only how I have noticed how so many people love to give things a label.

Edited by ll49

Nobody mentioned either way, it was another post that stated...'We're discussing medically verified honest to goodness life threatening allergy here', when actually the thread didn't state medically verified or not and neither did I, I never referred to any specific allergy only how I have noticed how so many people love to give things a label.

You're quite right about the original post - it was simply a comment about the number of folk who suffer from "whatever" these days compared to none-that-I-know-about in my schooldays.

It stemmed from the unfortunate lad with 28 different allegies being interviewed on TV - let's hope he grows out of some of 'em otherwise his life is going to be a miserable trawl of reading food packaging, checking what his clothes are made of, etc., etc.

The only thing I don't eat is strawberries. Not sure why, but I used to be physically ill after doing so, so have learnt to leave them alone. Interestingly, I can eat strawberry yoghurts - which claim to have real fruit - with no ill effects. (Curious, that! Makes you wonder....)

That said, I wouldn't consider it an allergy, or give it a name.

It's just that I "don't get on" with them!

Some posters prefer to argue and score points over the detail, instead of actually discussing the issue.