Ending boring conversations?

You know when someone is talking to (or more accurately, at) you; and they're just going on and on, not stopping to elicit your views on the topic, and you find what they have to say quite banal.

Has that ever happened to anyone?

How do you end it, without being too blunt, lying, or being rude?

You know when someone is talking to (or more accurately, at) you; and they're just going on and on, not stopping to elicit your views on the topic, and you find what they have to say quite banal.

Saw this in some film years ago, and eventually had need to use it!

It went along the lines of "I really have no knowledge of the and therefore no interest in anybody's opinion in it. Do you want to talk about something else?"

It gets worse as you get older.

An inability to get the point.

As I was saying the other day to my wife, but it might have been my daughter.

I was walking down the High Tree in Ashford when some one I knew from school or possibly the Scouts crossed over just in front of me,We were passing M and S at the time . Did you know they have 20% off sale

Anyway what was I saying?

You've made me loose my thread.............................

---------- Post added 05-10-2018 at 09:53 ----------

It gets worse as you get older.

An inability to get the point.

As I was saying the other day to my wife, but it might have been my daughter.

I was walking down the High Tree in Ashford when some one I knew from school or possibly the Scouts crossed over just in front of me,We were passing M and S at the time . Did you know they have 20% off sale

Anyway what was I saying?

You've made me loose my thread.............................

I've just remembered.....There was an article in the i newspaper and I was telling a neighbour about it when my wife said 'for GODS SAKE GET TO THE POINT!

Edited by davyboy

It always seems to me that people who talk none stop nearly always talk rubbish because they never listen.

Yes.

They may also have quite narrow entrenched views, as they're not listening to and contemplating the views of other people.

I guess there's an expectation of politeness and non-confrontation in our social interactions; so when we come across someone who bores us, it's not easy to end it without breaking those expectations, being rude, or telling a little white lie (excuse to get away).

Just start talking about Brexit and out-bore them :cool:

Just had a nice breakfast this morning at morrisons, very tasty and piping hot, some well cooked gorgeous sausages, lovely tomatoes at the top of the plate, on the left of the tomatoes was some delicious baked beans, on the right was two generous rashers of bacon..In the middle of the plate was a beautiful fried egg, just right for dipping your soldiers in, at the bottom of this huge plate was a large helping of hot mushrooms, one side of which was some fried bread, and on the other side hash browns..all this was washed down with a large cup of frothy coffee, what a way to start your day. this was at morrisons Ecclesfield.. plenty of car parking space. morrisons can be approached from Sheffield lane top, just drive down the hill and when you see morrisons turn right into there car park and find a space to park in, lock your car door and enter the store, you will see the café as you walk in, order your breakfast and find a table to sit at and enjoy your meal...leave the store the same way as you came in, find your car and unlock the car door, hope this has been interesting and helpful to you all. have a nice day folks.

Just had a nice breakfast this morning at morrisons, very tasty and piping hot, some well cooked gorgeous sausages, lovely tomatoes at the top of the plate, on the left of the tomatoes was some delicious baked beans, on the right was two generous rashers of bacon..In the middle of the plate was a beautiful fried egg, just right for dipping your soldiers in, at the bottom of this huge plate was a large helping of hot mushrooms, one side of which was some fried bread, and on the other side hash browns..all this was washed down with a large cup of frothy coffee, what a way to start your day. this was at morrisons Ecclesfield.. plenty of car parking space. morrisons can be approached from Sheffield lane top, just drive down the hill and when you see morrisons turn right into there car park and find a space to park in, lock your car door and enter the store, you will see the café as you walk in, order your breakfast and find a table to sit at and enjoy your meal...leave the store the same way as you came in, find your car and unlock the car door, hope this has been interesting and helpful to you all. have a nice day folks.

Hope you remembered to put a pic on 'facebook'.