Final call to save the world?

I once tried one of those electric cars, for over 3 years. Bad move, it was more expensive to run than its diesel counterpart. So they are not saving the planet are they.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 09-10-2018 at 12:13 ----------

Angel1.

You might have been saving the planet (A bit) but it cost you too much money.

---------- Post added 09-10-2018 at 13:23 ----------

An awful ot of the world's problems could be helped by more fairness and equality. And working together instead of in competition with each other.

---------- Post added 09-10-2018 at 10:36 ----------

Is this because of the size of the country or is it per capita?

A huge number of people each making small changes, (and maybe a few big ones,) can make a difference.

---------- Post added 09-10-2018 at 10:39 ----------

3D printed houses can be built very cheaply and quickly, and have any requirements automatically built in.

Per capita its austrailia if memory serves.

One think I find odd is that this seems to concentrate on C02 emissions as if that is the only GHG. I notice on the BBC that it states we should cut down or give up beef and dairy products because it would drastically reduce C02 emissions? I though it was mainly because of the methane they produce?

I listened to part of a discussion t'other day on the wireless, discussing this exact topic. Methane was definitely the main focus, and the damage it was doing to the world. Hence the big push to reduce meat consumption.

Bugger the world bring me a nice Sirloin medium rare.

Angel1.

I listened to part of a discussion t'other day on the wireless, discussing this exact topic. Methane was definitely the main focus, and the damage it was doing to the world. Hence the big push to reduce meat consumption.

Bugger the world bring me a nice Sirloin medium rare.

:thumbsup:

Did they mention anything about countries in Asia that rely on rice grown in paddy fields as their staple diet? That rice production produces almost half the total methane released into the atmosphere.

One thing we should do, but won't because we're driven by self-interest and are only paying lip service to environmental issues, is population (birth) control. For example, we should consider how many people our planet can sustain, and reduce births to meet that target.

Here, here. Attenborough advocates educating women in developing countries as this has been demonstrated to reduce birth rates. Controlling population growth would make a significant impact on the environment.

A quick google brought this up. https://hellogiggles.com/news/who-worlds-top-pollution/

Might I suggest after reading this, whatever we do to "save the world" will be like an old lady/man piddling in the sea, make no difference whatever.

Angel1.

There's no question that whatever we do as individuals to reduce waste will have very little impact on the bigger picture, however if everyone thinks like this then we're already doomed to fail.

I stopped buying shower gel in plastic bottles and switched to soap, doesn't sound like much but say I use an average of one bottle every 3 weeks, and I lived for another 35 years, that's over 600 fewer plastic bottles that I'll be adding to landfill over my lifetime. It's a small switch but with a significant impact and one that I'm happy to do.

If only a quarter of Sheffield residents made the same switch, just think how much less plastic we'd be adding to landfill as a whole!

There's no question that whatever we do as individuals to reduce waste will have very little impact on the bigger picture, however if everyone thinks like this then we're already doomed to fail.

I stopped buying shower gel in plastic bottles and switched to soap, doesn't sound like much but say I use an average of one bottle every 3 weeks, and I lived for another 35 years, that's over 600 fewer plastic bottles that I'll be adding to landfill over my lifetime. It's a small switch but with a significant impact and one that I'm happy to do.

If only a quarter of Sheffield residents made the same switch, just think how much less plastic we'd be adding to landfill as a whole!

Exactly. One of the few advantages of large populations, is that if every one made a few small changes it would add up to some quite significant ones.