An offence not to help a police officer in trouble.

Of course I would - in any way possible - without question - provided I didn't put myself in harms way.

The same as I would try to help any other human being in trouble - my conscience wouldn't allow me to do anything else.

Edited by Daven

Quote:

The man in charge of the Met Police when an unarmed officer was murdered during the Westminster terror attacks stayed in his car nearby as he had no protective equipment

They locked the doors and drove off. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

The way I see the law sometimes I could see myself being prosecuted by the criminal or the criminals family if the criminal got injured. I remember a nurse who saved a mans life by resuscitation and in the process she broke one of his ribs and even though both the man and his family said they knew his life had been saved they still sued her for breaking the rib.

The way I see the law sometimes I could see myself being prosecuted by the criminal or the criminals family if the criminal got injured. I remember a nurse who saved a mans life by resuscitation and in the process she broke one of his ribs and even though both the man and his family said they knew his life had been saved they still sued her for breaking the rib.

I can't see that flying in a court. I'd be amazed if it ever got to the court to be honest.

Even if it were the law, it would be impossible to enforce.

I remember a couple of years back, a WPC was called to a break in at a petrol station at night. Apparently she left the scene without investigating, because the paving slabs around the back of the premises were uneven and the lighting was insufficient to walk on them safely.

Another incident occurred where the fire bobbies were called to a park where someone in a wheelchair had gone into a pond and the senior officer prevented his crew wading into the pond to rescue him as his risk assessment meant he had to wait for extra PPE to arrive!

In light of the above, I'd say that anyone charged with failing to aid an officer would have a string of lawful defences to hand, not least that they had a right not to put themselves in danger. We are all different. In situations like that some of us go to pieces and some are real heroes.

Relying on random passers by to intervene is as likely to make as many situations worse as it is to help.

gosh why would you not, it is surely nature for anyone fit able to do so. i lov and agree with most of the police rights vids, how ever i would offer a police person the same support as would a member of the public

If a person felt helping could end up with them coming to serious harm, I honestly wouldn't blame or think less of them for not getting involved. We all have different levels of physical strength, fitness, capability to fight.

My own instinct would naturally be to help. The fact of me being legally compelled to do so, would leave me feeling a bit icky.

There's a difference between choosing to do something, and being compelled to do that thing (under threat of punishment). I'd still help if I could, but agree with Cyclone, and would like to see the law repealed.

Urban myth.

Broken ribs are a very common effect of CPR anyway.

They might have sued the nurse, I can pay a solicitor to sue somebody for looking at me funny in the street if I want. Both will be kicked straight out of court. The 'fact' they did it doesn't give it any legal validity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refusing_to_assist_a_constable

Of course the officer didn't ask for help, since he was being stabbed...

Very rarely prosecuted, would probably make sense to repeal the law entirely to be honest.

Does the officer need to ask for help though, or would the specific circumstances 'require' a person to assist? I imagine it would all depend on the interpretation (presumably by a judge) of the two conditions 'if able' and 'if required'. Is an unarmed person, with no protective equipment, 'able' to assist?