An offence not to help a police officer in trouble.

The way I see the law sometimes I could see myself being prosecuted by the criminal or the criminals family if the criminal got injured. I remember a nurse who saved a mans life by resuscitation and in the process she broke one of his ribs and even though both the man and his family said they knew his life had been saved they still sued her for breaking the rib.

Discussing isn't it. It could get to the point where people don't help each other, because if something goes wrong you get sued.

Urban myth.

Broken ribs are a very common effect of CPR anyway.

That is true.

A friend of mine was threatened with legal action by the family of a man whose chest was bruised after she saved him from chocking by performing the Heimlich manoeuvre.

It never was going to go anywhere, however she was suspended while an investigation was carried out. :suspect:

Does the officer need to ask for help though, or would the specific circumstances 'require' a person to assist? I imagine it would all depend on the interpretation (presumably by a judge) of the two conditions 'if able' and 'if required'. Is an unarmed person, with no protective equipment, 'able' to assist?

You are obliged to help unless you have a 'lawful excuse' not to. Reasonable danger of being killed is a lawful excuse.

Fifteen years ago I helped restrain an individual attacking an elderly man at Midland station, until’Police arrived ten minutes later. I ended up’with an infection to my arm, requiring two admissions to hospital, numerous attendances at A/E, several’courses of antibiotics and eventually an operation. Obviously missed time off work.

The response from the Police was appalling ( British Transport). The slobbishness and overall behaviour of individal officers embarrassing.

I did eventually receive an acknowledgement and apology from South Yorks Police.

I don’t think I would ever help out Police Officers again in similar circumstances.

Urban myth.

Broken ribs are a very common effect of CPR anyway.

They might have sued the nurse, I can pay a solicitor to sue somebody for looking at me funny in the street if I want. Both will be kicked straight out of court. The 'fact' they did it doesn't give it any legal validity.

I was once told that if there are no broken ribs/severe bruising then CPR is not being done correctly.

How can regular compressions of the sternum by 5-6cms for any length of time NOT cause bruising at least ?

It is a brutal action and one that I have performed many times in my workplace - it's never pleasant.

Edited by Daven

I was once told that if there are no broken ribs/severe bruising then CPR is not being done correctly.

How can regular compressions of the sternum by 5-6cms for any length of time NOT cause bruising at least ?

It is a brutal action and one that I have performed many times in my workplace - it's never pleasant.

First time I ever had to do it I broke a fair number of ribs. Older people are not that flexible and you need to push the sternum down a long way... as the ambulance guys sadi if its not cracked you didn't push down hard enough perhaps...

They made it, but I bet it was sore for a while but theres no option. It's stupid it would be like suing a surgeon for cutting you whilst doing an emergency appendectomy.

Even if it were the law, it would be impossible to enforce.

I remember a couple of years back, a WPC was called to a break in at a petrol station at night. Apparently she left the scene without investigating, because the paving slabs around the back of the premises were uneven and the lighting was insufficient to walk on them safely.

I recall this one differently. Definitely a petrol station (cant remember the specifics of the incident) but a WPC did go in round the back, in the dark, tripped and fell on said paving slabs and sued the petrol station owner who had rung them in the first place. Her bosses tried to talk her out of it but they weren't successful as far as I know.

EDIT, she did withdraw it eventually. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10304588/Policewoman-who-tripped-withdraws-damages-claim.html

Edited by tinfoilhat

Watched an interview this morning on this. Piers Morgan interviewed to former Met detectives, one backing Sir Craig Mackey's actions, the other condemning him for not intervening.

Mackey doesn't come out of this smelling of roses. It was only a few months earlier that he was at a big Met Police bash, presenting a bravery award to an off duty Met police officer who was out having a drink when the previous terrorist attack took place, (the one with multiple terrorists) & as everyone was running away from them, this unarmed, off duty copper ran towards them to confront them.

Apparently Mackey's speech at the awards contained such phrases as "This is what we police do', 'We put our lives on the line'.

There was a suggestion by one of the former Met officers this morning that Mackey should be reported for dereliction of duty. An example was given where an officer was in trouble & a fellow officer refused to help. He was dismissed from the force.