Guilty with out being charged

I don't think it's as straight forward as some people might think.

If there was a man or woman in Sheffield suspected of a very serious crime, sexual assault of a child for example, that person could potentially be a major danger to your children, with them at serious risk without you knowing.

On the other hand if they are innocent the stigma of the accusation and the ignorant perceptions of the general public could ruin their lives anyway.

The more serious the crime, the more at risk people would be if the suspect is secretly guilty, while at the same time they are more likely to have their lives ruined if they are innocent.

It might be approprate naming them if they were on the run and at large in the community. But it more frequently happens when allegations appear, not when they are actually being hunted by police.

It might be approprate naming them if they were on the run and at large in the community. But it more frequently happens when allegations appear, not when they are actually being hunted by police.

Let's imagine you have young children (I don't know if you do), and that someone who has regular contact with them was suspected of a serious sexual assault.

Would you rather know about this or not?

Let's imagine you have young children (I don't know if you do), and that someone who has regular contact with them was suspected of a serious sexual assault.

Let's imagine you're on the receiving end of an accusation made from spite,your name plastered over the media etcetc......if someone is charged it's a differnt matter of course..

Edited by truman

No - i woudl want to know if they were found guilty though. As another forumster put, if named then the accusation would stick regardless of their innocence.

Put it this way, i could accuse you of something. You know you are completely innocent but would you want your neighbours knowing you had been accused?

Yes, because my childrens welfare comes before logical reasoning of what's right and wrong. As another poster mentioned, if some spiteful person just circulated it on Facebook, or the Star published unfounded alegations and we all pulled our kids from his , say football group, how would that be fair and just?

What if someone on here posted RootsBooster has done this and that, then we all copied it to friends and family, and the local paper. How is that OK?

Yes, because my childrens welfare comes before logical reasoning of what's right and wrong. As another poster mentioned, if some spiteful person just circulated it on Facebook, or the Star published unfounded alegations and we all pulled our kids from his , say football group, how would that be fair and just?

What if someone on here posted RootsBooster has done this and that, then we all copied it to friends and family, and the local paper. How is that OK?

I haven't suggested it's okay, read post #9

I remember when the Daily Mail did a full front page spread complete with mug shots, accusing those who had been accused but exonerated of Stephen Lawrence's murder. Naming and shaming them as murderers, and inviting them to sue the Newspaper if they were innocent.

None of them did. In fact I think a couple of them were indeed found guilty of his murder eventually, and sent to prison.

I know that there are what are called 'paedophile hunters', who entrap people trying to meet youngsters underage. They video the meets, and post them on Facebook, and other social media. There was one about a man in Sheffield that happened a year ago. It was horrible - members of the public, passing by were spitting and swearing at the accused. It degenerated into a circus

Apparently there was a case in Canada where someone identified as a so called paedophile in a public manner committed suicide, and it transpired that he was innocent all along.

Investigating things like that should be left to the police and other agencies.

Possibly a controversial view, but the whole mob mentality leaves me feeling queasy.

I remember when the Daily Mail did a full front page spread complete with mug shots, accusing those who had been accused but exonerated of Stephen Lawrence's murder. Naming and shaming them as murderers, and inviting them to sue the Newspaper if they were innocent.

None of them did. In fact I think a couple of them were indeed found guilty of his murder eventually, and sent to prison.

Does that mean that you agree with trial by media?