Moral obligation to report crime

Thread title should be 'Legal' obligation.

Not talking about minor offences here.

I was listening to Radio 2 the other day, and they were talking about abuse of kids at childrens homes and by monks at religious schools / homes.

It turns out that some the heads / managers of these places were fully aware, and even witnessed, these things happening, but did nothing.

A lawyer on the program clarified the no-one is obliged to report a crime. That also includes people in positions of trust and positions of care.

So, these horrendous crimes were going on in full knowledge of the senior staff, and they have commited no crime by allowing it to continue. How can that be right?

Did you watch the programme Lawless Britain the other night on Channel 4 Dispatches? If not look on line for it and watch, it was very enlightening how the police are screening crime and not investigating some crimes. Not just low level crime but sex crimes and assaults are getting screened out. Hampshire screened out 56% of theft crimes, Bedfordshire dropped almost 70% of non payment of fuel cases while Staffordshire screened out 64% of vehicle crime. So it is understandable that some people don't report crimes, when the police are not investigating. It is not all down to the police though with the loss of something like 22000 police offices, thanks to our Government who said they were the party of law and order.

Edited by iansheff

Did you watch the programme Lawless Britain the other night on Channel 4 Dispatches? If not look on line for it and watch, it was very enlightening how the police are screening crime and not investigating some crimes. Not just low level crime but sex crimes and assaults are getting screened out. Hampshire screened out 56% of theft crimes, Bedfordshire dropped almost 70% of non payment of fuel cases while Staffordshire screened out 64% of vehicle crime. So it is understandable that some people don't report crimes, when the police are not investigating. It is not all down to the police though with the loss of something like 22000 police offices, thanks to our Government who said they were the party of law and order.

I agree all those things are a sad reflection of how they are handling things, (or having to).

I was more talking about the reporting by people in positions of trust. I would have imagined they would be in very serious legal trouble, and should be jailed, so shocke dthat they hadn't even commited an offence.

Thread title should be 'Legal' obligation.

Not talking about minor offences here.

I was listening to Radio 2 the other day, and they were talking about abuse of kids at childrens homes and by monks at religious schools / homes.

It turns out that some the heads / managers of these places were fully aware, and even witnessed, these things happening, but did nothing.

A lawyer on the program clarified the no-one is obliged to report a crime. That also includes people in positions of trust and positions of care.

So, these horrendous crimes were going on in full knowledge of the senior staff, and they have commited no crime by allowing it to continue. How can that be right?

As an additional note, there is an offence called misprision of treason - which specifically states that if you know of treason being plotted you must inform the authorities. Along with the various requirements to report terrorism offences these are the only times in UK law you must report a crime if you know about it - everything else you can just walk on by...

Compare that to France where you are obliged by law to render assistance if needed in say the case of car accident and to report if know, two totally opposite ends of the spectrum...

It is estimated that over 65% of violent sexual offences are not reported which leaves the door open for needless victims. Reporting crime could be more than a moral obligation and I would welcome a national DNA database for everyone. Not all soldiers wear green.

It is estimated that over 65% of violent sexual offences are not reported which leaves the door open for needless victims. Reporting crime could be more than a moral obligation and I would welcome a national DNA database for everyone. Not all soldiers wear green.

Estimating the unknown must be tricky and how would a DNA database help?

Is failure to report something not actually a form of aiding and abetting?

One would logically say that it's either aiding and abetting, accessory or conspiracy, and it may extend to perverting the course of justice. Particularly with things like sex crimes, if you witness it and don't report it then you really have no excuse.