Moral obligation to report crime

One would logically say that it's either aiding and abetting, accessory or conspiracy, and it may extend to perverting the course of justice. Particularly with things like sex crimes, if you witness it and don't report it then you really have no excuse.

You'd think or hope so. But the discussion on that program said no action would or could be taken against the pricipals of those organisations. That's what I found disturbing about that aspect of it.

One would logically say that it's either aiding and abetting, accessory or conspiracy, and it may extend to perverting the course of justice. Particularly with things like sex crimes, if you witness it and don't report it then you really have no excuse.

PtCoJ is quite specific and definitely doesn't cover not reporting something.

Thread title should be 'Legal' obligation.

Not talking about minor offences here.

I was listening to Radio 2 the other day, and they were talking about abuse of kids at childrens homes and by monks at religious schools / homes.

It turns out that some the heads / managers of these places were fully aware, and even witnessed, these things happening, but did nothing.

A lawyer on the program clarified the no-one is obliged to report a crime. That also includes people in positions of trust and positions of care.

So, these horrendous crimes were going on in full knowledge of the senior staff, and they have commited no crime by allowing it to continue. How can that be right?

I agree that people should be morally obliged, if not legally obliged to report a crime, but have you not seen what happens to whistleblowers?

There have been several cases in the NHS for instance, where the whistleblowers have been 'sacked' or at the very least working life has been made so difficult they've had to leave, and the powers that be have seen to it that they've never worked in the NHS again.

And the higher up you go, the worse it gets. if you report someone who has greater power than you, you can kiss your career goodbye. If they're really, really important, you'd better take out lots of life insurance...

I agree that people should be morally obliged, if not legally obliged to report a crime, but have you not seen what happens to whistleblowers?

There have been several cases in the NHS for instance, where the whistleblowers have been 'sacked' or at the very least working life has been made so difficult they've had to leave, and the powers that be have seen to it that they've never worked in the NHS again.

And the higher up you go, the worse it gets. if you report someone who has greater power than you, you can kiss your career goodbye. If they're really, really important, you'd better take out lots of life insurance...

Don't you think a headteacher should be *legally* obliged to report a staff sexual offender to Police? At the moment they don't need to.

I get your point re-whistleblowing, I suppose the severity of the offence needs to be considered.

I agree all those things are a sad reflection of how they are handling things, (or having to).

I was more talking about the reporting by people in positions of trust. I would have imagined they would be in very serious legal trouble, and should be jailed, so shocke dthat they hadn't even commited an offence.

One would think so, but from what we learnt from the Rotherham abuse scandal, the most we can hope for is for these people to quietly step down from their role and slither away unrepentant to pastures new.

Don't you think a headteacher should be *legally* obliged to report a staff sexual offender to Police? At the moment they don't need to.

I get your point re-whistleblowing, I suppose the severity of the offence needs to be considered.

On the whole, yes. But it also depends on what's been seen, evidence etc.

There are some kids who are all too well aware that all they have to say is 'he touched me' just to get teachers (and others they hold a grudge against) into trouble. and boy does it work.

Sometimes that uncorroborated (and eventually totally disproved) bit of mischief can cost a teacher their career.

On the whole, yes. But it also depends on what's been seen, evidence etc.

There are some kids who are all too well aware that all they have to say is 'he touched me' just to get teachers (and others they hold a grudge against) into trouble. and boy does it work.

Sometimes that uncorroborated (and eventually totally disproved) bit of mischief can cost a teacher their career.

That's right, those things can happen. In this instance the headteachers were fully aware, sometimes firsthand, of what had happened, and chose not to act, to safegauard the reputation, no stir things up in the church or whatever. As such it went on for years, unstopped. But they have commited no crime, in eyes of the law.