Bakery found NOT to have discriminated against a gay couple

No, I don't think it was wrong.

It raises a few questions though, as detailed in the OP link.

Like when a cafe/restaurant refused to serve Trump or some of his officials, I would support a business being able to refuse work, but I would hope that it did not become widespread and people with certain political views became unable to get a coffee, as much as I hate Tories ;)

Like when a cafe/restaurant refused to serve Trump or some of his officials, I would support a business being able to refuse work, but I would hope that it did not become widespread and people with certain political views became unable to get a coffee, as much as I hate Tories ;)

Political affiliation isn't a protected characteristic in the Equality Act 2005.

A good example of where refusal of service is commonplace is on matchdays in certain pubs "No away fans"

Edited by SnailyBoy

. . .being forced to do something you do not wish to under threat of prosecution is one step away from living in North Korea.

so if I don’t want to stop at a red light, I no longer have to ?

Nice one :thumbsup:

Guest makapaka
No, I don't think it was wrong.

Ok - so it’s just an off topic point about whether businesses can serve who they want then. Start a new thread.

Ok - so it’s just an off topic point about whether businesses can serve who they want then. Start a new thread.

Sorry, you're mistaken, here's your targets.

I have always said the Bakers were in the right. Any business should have the right to refuse to serve anyone they want.

And without having to give a reason, if you are refused go some ware else that will.

Be prepared, they don't respond well to questions.

I know that. Once again I was questioning the idea put by others that there should be refusal of service for any reason, which obviously includes refusing service on grounds which would currently be contrary to the Equality Act.

A business can refuse to serve someone by simply saying " We are too busy / booked up " . Simple. You dont have to give reasons , its YOUR business , you own it. l

Guest makapaka

I’m not mistaken.

They are right - you highlighted a point yourself “no away fans”. A business has a right to refuse service to anyone.

However if they refuse to serve someone because of their race / sexuality etc they can expect their comeuppance.

I’m not mistaken.

They are right - you highlighted a point yourself “no away fans”. A business has a right to refuse service to anyone.

However if they refuse to serve someone because of their race / sexuality etc they can expect their comeuppance.

Yes, I know that. Thanks for confirming your understanding too.

However, 'they' advocated refusing service for any reason.

I have always said the Bakers were in the right. Any business should have the right to refuse to serve anyone they want.

And without having to give a reason, if you are refused go some ware else that will.

So, expand "No away fans" to "No black away fans" or "No disabled away fans"

Edited by SnailyBoy

Not when they come from idiots who will not listen when you give them an answer they dont like.Lets set the record straight once and for all, i do not support discrimination but have the right to work,or not, for anyone i choose to ,end of.