History of Empire should be taught in schools?

I agree.

Even now, our 'richness' is what keeps a lot of the third world poor to this day. We simply moved in and took what we wanted and kept them. These countries are rich in resources, but the wealth from them still falls into foreign hands because of exploitation. We still hold the rights to mine minerals for example creating vast wealth for some, (well, companies and shareholders mainly, but we get the tax) but next to nothing for the contries they're in. Many third world famines are not caused by droughts etc as people are led to believe, but because food has to be sold to pay back foreign debt etc.

But how can you teach this in schools without being accused of being political, or more to the point, 'left-wing.'

It depends on the balance of how it's taught. The third world is also ridden with local corruption. India has a national space and nuclear program, but allows unspeakable poverty.

The remnants and history of colonialism are important and still have effects, as you describe, it is one part of the story, balance in all things is important to stop a skewed version being told.

The industrusl revolution, which benefits us now, was won through suffering of the lower classes here. Our current wealth isn't all stolen from the colonies, it's also paid for in the blood and sweat of our grandfathers.

I think we would have been much better off without an Empire , we are suffering the after effects now .

Perhaps we should have just kept America:hihi:

---------- Post added 11-10-2018 at 14:05 ----------

Or the Buddists, Jews, Sikhs,Mormons, Catholics, Atheists, Rastafariens, non conformists and a caste of millions .

By the way they were not just fighting for Great Britain they were fighting for World freedom so people could live their lives without prejudice and practice any religion they choose without being in fear of being persecuted due to those beliefs .

You think the First World War was about freedom to practise religion ?

It depends on the balance of how it's taught. The third world is also ridden with local corruption. India has a national space and nuclear program, but allows unspeakable poverty.

The remnants and history of colonialism are important and still have effects, as you describe, it is one part of the story, balance in all things is important to stop a skewed version being told.

The industrusl revolution, which benefits us now, was won through suffering of the lower classes here. Our current wealth isn't all stolen from the colonies, it's also paid for in the blood and sweat of our grandfathers.

Very true. balance is the key.

But I also think some of our elite still think we have an Empire, and that they are the only ones destined to run it.

Maybe we can start by teaching them about the forgotten 400,000 Muslim soldiers that fought in the Great War trenches for Great Britain = https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/forgotten-army-400000-muslim-soldiers-10325190

I’m not sure if this is anything to do with your post, but my father was in The Far East, during W11. He was in Burma and India most of the time. There was a lot of Indian soldiers in his regiment, I don’t know what there religion was probably mixed.

He could not praise these soldiers enough, for their bravery and being very good solders also sharing their rations when food was scarce which he said was better than his.

Edited by hauxwell

Where do we find the time to fit in all this extra history that needs to be taught, perhaps we can drop English and Maths?

As a retired teacher, I think far too much time is spent on certain historical periods, (Romans and Tudors are done to death, interesting as they are) and other periods are completely neglected.

I'd like to see kids have a greater overall view (eg timeline etc) so they at least know where in history we're talking about, ('No Victorians didn't come before Tudors, Billy...') what is important about particular periods, and why we need to know about it.

Of course you can't cover it all, but a good teacher can at the very least spark their interest, and keep it, so they go on to learn more for themselves. Learning should be a lifelong experience.

A lot of kids don't see the relevance of learning history. They think it has nothing to do with them.

Perhaps it's all changed since I was at school, but we spent quite a lot of time on WWII and some on periods you mentioned. But since I didn't do History at GCSE level it's not like they could have fitted in a history of empire somewhere as well.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission have started a new scheme and it is to be funded by voluntary donations.

The war cemeteries and memorials receive funding from all of The Commonwealth Countries for there upkeep, this scheme doesn’t.

They want to go into the schools and teach the children about The First and Second World War and the suffering it caused, but they have to raise the money to do this.

Where do we find the time to fit in all this extra history that needs to be taught, perhaps we can drop English and Maths?

By dropping some of the stuff that is less relevant. That's how most curriculum development happens.

Our future Prime Minister thinks it is a good idea. Link.

Of course, History is an optional subject beyond age 14, so only those who choose to would get to study this stuff anyway.