The Royal Family Discussion Thread

21 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Head of my state was my old Ma not some one else's  who lived a sheltered life surrounded by staff who attended to her every need .  I feel no affinity with that family what so ever although I feel sorry that the kids have lost their mother and father the same as I do for any family that it happens to . They are just part of the human race same as those poor kids starving in Somalia or drowning in Pakistan , The media seems to have forgot about all the stuff going on in the real World and that is disgraceful .

Well said !!!...

Yeah it’s sad that she’s died but to have a total news blackout is wrong in so many ways....

King Charles III showed his true colours when he looked in disgust that the ink on the table was in his way and gave one of the ushers a look they won’t forget !!!..

look I don’t hate the royals because I don’t know them directly but I feel the time has come to massively scale down their appearances and all the pomp that goes with it....

Everything they do is staged nothing is for real it worked well years ago but the world has changed and there are so many people in this world that realise how the establishment works and quite frankly they are sick of them...

I saw Andy looking at the many flowers and pretending to read the notes looking for brownie points it’s just all staged !!!!...

All said and done the Queen has died and that’s sad for her family....

Let’s just hope that Charlie boy can do positive deeds with his new titles....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

You have to admit all this pomp and ceremony must be costing a bomb.

I don't think people begrudge the queen a fitting state funeral, or Charles a splendid Coronation; these are once in a lifetime events, but for example, the herald thing was a bit of antiquated expensive nonsense, and the extent of all the protocols and other expensive Royal traditions IMO are over the top, particularly at a time of national hardship, and exactly what Charles was supposed to be slimming down (as well as the personnel.) 

Somebody had to tell the bees.

You can’t keep bees in the dark about changes of monarch.

These things matter.

39 minutes ago, Box11 said:

King Charles III showed his true colours when he looked in disgust that the ink on the table was in his way and gave one of the ushers a look they won’t forget !!!..

Being somewhat of a peasant, I find it hard to grasp the enormity of the situation....

However, I do find it intriguing and fascinating, that the whole future of the Monarchy, and indeed the integrity of our future King rests in the hands of a misplaced Inkpot.

4 hours ago, trastrick said:

A stupid and offensive joke at that.

Getting offended on someone else's behalf. You normally accuse such people of being woke lefties.

Fortunately the Queen didn't go rushing of to a Human Rights Commission, over each personal insult she received.

There's a long tradition of making fun of the monarchy in this country going back to court jesters in the middle ages. The queen demonstrated her sense of humour on many occasions (see the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony and 'meeting' Paddington bear earlier this year for examples).

I suspect that rather than being offended by my joke as you claim, the queen would have been offended by your assumption that she can't take a joke.

12 minutes ago, altus said:

Getting offended on someone else's behalf. You normally accuse such people of being woke lefties.

There's a long tradition of making fun of the monarchy in this country going back to court jesters in the middle ages. The queen demonstrated her sense of humour on many occasions (see the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony and 'meeting' Paddington bear earlier this year for examples).

I suspect that rather than being offended by my joke as you claim, the queen would have been offended by your assumption that she can't take a joke.

Reptillian?

Snake, lizard, frog (careful in France) are not "joking" terms, anymore than monkeys and apes and female dogs are, in other contexts.

Try that "joke" excuse on your Human Rights Commisions!  when used against certain groups.

Unless it's not an offensive hate crime if you use it against the dead, and the recipient can't respond!  :)

Seriously, I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of all this woke nonsense!

So you get a pass! At least from this conservative/libertarian.

Edited by trastrick

1 minute ago, trastrick said:

Reptillian?

Snake, lizard, frog (careful in France) are not "joking" terms, anymore than monkeys and apes and female dogs are, in other contexts.

Try that "joke" excuse on your Human Rights Commisions!  when used against certain groups.

Unless it's not an offensive hate crime if you use it against the dead, and the recipient can't respond!  :)

Carry on digging.

16 minutes ago, altus said:
20 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Reptillian?

Frogs aren’t reptiles.

Edited by sibon