The Royal Family Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I do believe he will be a good King and time will tell.  Look at some of  his charity's such as The Princes Trust. He cares about the younger generation.

I don't know anything about the cash for honours.  Has he been found guilty or is it just accusations?

I asked my MP to write a letter to the  Justice and Home Secretaries about royal corruption, which he did, asking for an enquiry into Prince Charles and the cash for honours.

It was rejected by Lord True. I can PM you the full reply if you like.

There are many articles on the web relating to the "cash for honours" story. Take your pick, in the pastI have been accused of cherry picking (unjustly) when linking.

8 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Edward, like Harry, put his personal happiness before duty. So the Royalty daily grind of privilege, may be not all it's cracked up to be  :)

I am not referring to his choice of wife. Without going back to my reply, I believe I was referring to the royal family inspiring the nation to fight the enemy.

Research how Edward VIII inspired the nation to fight the enemy in WW2.

7 minutes ago, crookesey said:

It is worth mentioning that until George 5th came to the throne the first language of the British monarchy was German.

Is it?

The original nationality of the UK royal family is irrelevant to me. The concept of hereditary succession is more the issue.

But for the record if anyone didn't know.

"In 1917, the name of the British royal house was changed from the German Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the English Windsor because of anti-German sentiment in the United Kingdom during World War I"

All those Union Jacks bought for nowt eh?

Germany Flag on Stick Cloth 9" x 6" - partyandcelebrate UK

Just now, crookesey said:

Thought that this was irrelevant. :huh:

I said irrelevant to my thoughts on the existence of the monarchy. 

It is relevant to the post someone made, about royalty inspiring the nation during the war.

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

Leave her in peace? I have not made any verbal attacks on the queen herself, but seeing as you mention it, I don't think she has done such a great job bringing up her family. Certainly not what I would expect from a family that are expected to be inspirational.

I would even be happy to join the "Jubilee" celebrations, if it coincided with the rightful changes to our ruling hierarchy.

I wasn't referring to you per se. I meant the generic 'you.' sorry if that wasn't clear. I should have said I hope people will leave her in peace in her dotage, rather than making her think her life's work is going to be ripped up and trashed.

She's not perfect - none of us are,  and I'm sure she's had her share of heartache and disappointment over her family, maybe wished she'd done things differently, but duty got in the way. Who knows? But I'm happy to give her the benefit of the doubt at this stage in her life.

I believe a lot is going to change after her death. If they are to continue I'd like to see our Royalty be more like the  Netherlands. We're not still in the 1950's. It's very outdated in its current form. I'd also like to see our voting system change to PR which is probably more important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

I asked my MP to write a letter to the  Justice and Home Secretaries about royal corruption, which he did, asking for an enquiry into Prince Charles and the cash for honours.

It was rejected by Lord True. I can PM you the full reply if you like.

There are many articles on the web relating to the "cash for honours" story. Take your pick, in the pastI have been accused of cherry picking (unjustly) when linking.

I am not referring to his choice of wife. Without going back to my reply, I believe I was referring to the royal family inspiring the nation to fight the enemy.

Research how Edward VIII inspired the nation to fight the enemy in WW2.

No if you have a point to make, YOU tell us?

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

I am not a royalty lover and think it's all well past it use-by date however, you pay very little towards their upkeep as most of it comes out of the Sovereign Grant which is 15% levied on the profits of the Crown Estates revenue. 

The true cost of the royalty, estimated at £350m, includes the security bill, picked up by the Met, and the cost of roayl visits, picked up by local councils.

Income from the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall goes straight to the royals also.

I'm also including dukes in the list of spongers. How much would public ownership of duchies of westminster/norfolk/devonshire pump into the public purse?

Edited by Bargepole23
  • Like 1

Tourist come from all over the world to see the Tower, of London Windsor castle, sSonehenge, York, they very rarely see the royals because the are  never around, because they are on their jollys most of the time , so they are not the reason for tourism,  so if they got rid of the royals tourism would still thrive, Same as millions of people go to Washington, Las Vegas, Newyork ect, they are going visit the cities they are not going to see the President. The Royals don't  bring hundreds of millions in at all.

• Like 1