The Royal Family Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

The true cost of the royalty, estimated at £350m, includes the security bill, picked up by the Met, and the cost of roayl visits, picked up by local councils.

Income from the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall goes straight to the royals also.

I'm also including dukes in the list of spongers. How much would public ownership of duchies of westminster/norfolk/devonshire pump into the public purse?

If you are including spongers then you should also include Parliament and MP's in that as well. The cost of running parliament is around £560+Million and Mps salaries alone amounted to around £132.5 million (2020/21)

It's been estimated that the actual cost of Royalty to the taxpayers is around .90p per person per year. I'm no royalist but I will pay your share if you are not happy..... :)

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

If you are including spongers then you should also include Parliament and MP's in that as well. The cost of running parliament is around £560+Million and Mps salaries alone amounted to around £132.5 million (2020/21)

It's been estimated that the actual cost of Royalty to the taxpayers is around .90p per person per year. I'm no royalist but I will pay your share if you are not happy..... :)

That estimate excludes security and royal visit costs.

For me, it's an issue of principle. Why is one family provided with this life of luxury. Its weird and anachronistic.

Don't really get the including of MPs and parliament. They carry out important functions. The Royals do not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

And the monarchy brings in hundreds of millions each year as a consequence of tourism. It really is a no brainer for the country with the most prestigious monarchy in the world and the most famous monarch in the world who just happens to be the most famous person in the world to keep and take pride in the monarchy. 

Except your favourite nation over the Channel manage to generate plenty of visitor numbers despite abolishing their monarchy. 

Vive la republique!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Tourist come from all over the world to see the Tower, of London Windsor castle, sSonehenge, York, they very rarely see the royals because the are  never around, because they are on their jollys most of the time , so they are not the reason for tourism,  so if they got rid of the royals tourism would still thrive, Same as millions of people go to Washington, Las Vegas, Newyork ect, they are going visit the cities they are not going to see the President. The Royals don't  bring hundreds of millions in at all.

If tourists turn up thinking they are going to see the Royal family running Hotdog stalls  ,  I pity them 

25 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

That estimate excludes security and royal visit costs.

For me, it's an issue of principle. Why is one family provided with this life of luxury. Its weird and anachronistic.

Don't really get the including of MPs and parliament. They carry out important functions. The Royals do not.

What important function does Jeremy Corbyn  carry out 

21 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

If tourists turn up thinking they are going to see the Royal family running Hotdog stalls  ,  I pity them 

That lot couldn't run a bath.

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

CND campaigner, vocal opponent of Iraq War in Parliament.

What important function does hackey lad carry out? None. Let's get rid of Hackenthorpe.

15 hours ago, West 77 said:

And the monarchy brings in hundreds of millions each year as a consequence of tourism. It really is a no brainer for the country with the most prestigious monarchy in the world and the most famous monarch in the world who just happens to be the most famous person in the world to keep and take pride in the monarchy. 

Same old argument, tourism. Can't be proven so use that.

Even with estimated figures the tourism argument doesn't add up.

I'll just point out that France generates more from tourism and it is a republic.

Give us another good reason eh? Can you?

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

We are not France.  Our country has the most famous and most prestigious monarchy the World has ever seen and there is not a cat in hell's chance our country will throw all that away and become a republic. 

The Republic movement has a healthy following. This will increase as the older supporters of the monarchy die off. Young people are les likely to care about the monarchy.

41 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Same old argument, tourism. Can't be proven so use that.

Even with estimated figures the tourism argument doesn't add up.

I'll just point out that France generates more from tourism and it is a republic.

Give us another good reason eh? Can you?

13 minutes ago, blackydog said:

The Republic movement has a healthy following. This will increase as the older supporters of the monarchy die off. Young people are les likely to care about the monarchy.

Ha Ha.

So who's 'Estimated' figures' are 'Young people are les likely to care about the monarchy' :huh:.