The Royal Family Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

I’ve seen what is apparently being celebrated - but I don’t know what there is to celebrate?

What am I supposed to be happy about?

How about a bit of national pride. How about a bit of acknowledgement to this landmark moment in our nations history. How about a bit of interest in a significant part of our nation's culture and heritage.  To the fact that this is a national celebration which goes far wider than just the royals. A celebration which has brought people together after the past two years of turmoil, disruption and sadness.

Wallow in pity all you want. Fact is you live in a monarchy.  It is what shapes this country.  Its what sets us apart from many other nations and it's what kept this tiny little Island as a nation of importance and influence on the world stage. 

Fine if you don't like it, go live in some Republic then. However no doubt you'll still be finding something to whinge about when you realise that they all have their own types of parades, pageantry, national celebrations, spectacles and regalia involving their respective heads of state.

The way you hysterically talk it's as if everyone  in the nation is destitute and living on bread and water. Well take a look at the thousands of people out on the streets, or attending local events, or filling up bars and restaurants, or flooding are airports..... it clearly shows otherwise.  Think of the other benefits this event is bringing. The millions of pounds all these tourists, packs of crews and journalists from around the globe are spending. The attention currently focused on this country from Alaska to New Zealand right now and what that could potentially translate to.  You might be astounded to learn that all that has value to it.

They could cancel it all tomorrow but you really think for one second that would instantly translate to social care budgets suddenly rocketing up or that the NHS will suddenly get some "cancelled pageantry" dividend. Just naive.

God sake lighten up.  Not every single thing has to be instantly compared to screams of "...how many nurses would that pay for?"

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

How about a bit of national pride. How about a bit of acknowledgement to this landmark moment in our nations history. How about a bit of interest in a significant part of our nation's culture and heritage.  To the fact that this is a national celebration which goes far wider than just the royals. A celebration which has brought people together after the past two years of turmoil, instruction and sadness.

Wallow in pity all you want. Fact is you live in a monarchy.  It is what shapes this country.  Its what sets us apart from many other nations and it's what kept this tiny little Island as a nation of importance and influence on the world stage. 

Fine if you don't like it, go live in some Republic then. However no doubt you'll still be finding something to whinge about when you realise that they all have their own types of parades, pageantry, national celebrations, spectacles and regalia involving their respective heads of state.

The way you hysterically talk it's as if everyone  in the nation is destitute and living on bread and water. Well take a look at the thousands of people out on the streets, or attending local events, or filling up bars and restaurants, or flooding are airports..... it clearly shows otherwise.  Think of the other benefits this event is bringing. The millions of pounds all these tourists, packs of crews and journalists from around the globe are spending. The attention currently focused on this country from Alaska to New Zealand right now and what that could potentially translate to.  You might be astounded to learn that all that has value to it.

They could cancel it all tomorrow but you really think for one second that would instantly translate to social care budgets suddenly rocketing up or that the NHS will suddenly get some "cancelled pageantry" dividend. Just naive.

God sake lighten up.  Not every single thing has to be instantly compared to screams of "...how many nurses would that pay for?"

Perfectly put , bravo 

Guest makapaka
11 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Think of the other benefits this event is bringing. The millions of pounds all these tourists, packs of crews and journalists from around the globe are spending. The attention currently focused on this country from Alaska to New Zealand right now and what that could potentially translate to. 

I’m supposed to celebrate million pounds generated from tourists?

Doesn’t sound like something to get excited about to me.

23 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It is what shapes this country.

Is it - that’s depressing isn’t it.

15 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Told you before, I’m conflicted. A Tory but a lot of 

my favourite music from the left 

Oh I wouldn't despair Hacks, what with his UKIP posturings Lydon has turned into a reactionary these days. Though he can afford to living in an exclusive part of LA.

Must be all the sales from Utterly Butterly. Kerching!

Edited by Mister M

Guest makapaka
23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Told you before, I’m conflicted. A Tory but a lot of 

my favourite music from the left 

God help us.