The Royal Family Discussion Thread

19 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I’m off topic now trastrick, but I think you should go onto the history and expats thread and write about your life.  I love to read the stories from expats, yours could be very interesting.

Mine are all there, since 2010.

But life experience is more than a nostalgic trip down memory lane. It is what informs your attitude to current events. It gives context to one's Worldview.

On topic:

Long live the Queen is more of a personal wish. 

God save the King/Queen is a metaphor for God Save the Country!, or even God Save Us!

Can't imagine why folks get so worked up about it.

On 05/06/2022 at 16:54, West 77 said:

That's not how it works.  Whoever is first in line to the throne gets to be the monarch.  No doubt some people thought at the time when Queen Elizabeth II became our monarchy that she was too young for the job.  

Don't spend any time thinking how you will vote in a referendum about a republic because it's never going to happen.

I stand corrected, sorry old boy, what! what! As you Toffs say. :hihi:

2 hours ago, blackydog said:

Ignoring pillocks but happy to bail out alleged nonces.

Do you actually have any good reasons for fawning over royalty?

“Alleged “

4 hours ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

A bit lie the street dwellers in Sheffield they seem to share their meagre bits and pieces with each other as far as I can see observing from a bench on the Moor .

Have you ever seen them fighting and beating each other up for their meagre possessions?

On 05/06/2022 at 16:29, Rockers rule said:

Excellent piece PRESLEY.

The Charlie boy and Camila, Charlie boy and Diana and Charlie boy and Camila yet again, debacle, did nothing for the Royal family.

A young woman and mother lost her life just so charlie boy could get his wish to be a Tampax  inside his old flame .

(How embarrassing was that tape?)

Camila, someone who would have gone on to be by his side rightfully had Charlie not thought he could take a young lass  (something his brother Andrew nearly got taken through the courts for :blush:) mould her into someone who kept 10 paces behind him at all times, while he continued seeing Camila didn't work.

Diana was no fool, manipulative maybe (and for good reason).

Step aside Charlie and Camila, any right to be King and Queen were soured years ago.

Let a Younger less fuddy-duddy generation of the Monarchy through.

(Can't agree over a republic rather than a Monarchy thing but,  that's the great thing about this country)

(On the other hand :suspect: I'm surprised William and Harry never walked away from Charlie and their usurper Mother years ago)

Keep safe 8) .

How happy did William and Kates kid look? 

Compliment returned Rockers,  Excellent post also. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

“Alleged “

Have you ever seen them fighting and beating each other up for their meagre possessions?

"Alleged" but still a £12m payout. Why payout for something you aren't guilty of?

1 hour ago, Rockers rule said:

Keep 🎣

That will be a no then. Thought so.

you - I love the queen me.

me - why?

you - err...

Typical of your average royalist to be fair.

5 hours ago, blackydog said:

Don't think this is the first time I have asked you, and you still haven't offered an answer as to why you love royalty so much. Your choice of course whether you answer, but as it stands it appears you don't have any reasons.

I, on the other hand have given numerous reasons, as to why I think the monarchy should be abolished.  

I don't wish death on the queen but when it does happen, I will see it as the sad death of a person, no more.

We have nearly always had Queens in this country ruling on there own or married to a King.  It’s been part of our history.  Over the years the royals have adjusted as society changes.  

I do believe they bring tourism into this country. 

One poster said people would still visit the palaces if there was no monarch but how many tourists today walk round Windsor or Buckingham Place hoping to see a member of the Royal family?  It just wouldn’t be the same visiting those places if there was no Royals.

If we do abolish the royals does that mean we have to change the British Constitution giving more powers to a president or prime minister?   At the moment Government and the royal family work just fine together.  

Edited by hauxwell

35 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

One poster said people would still visit the palaces if there was no monarch but how many tourists today walk round Windsor or Buckingham Place hoping to see a member of the Royal family?  It just wouldn’t be the same visiting those places if there was no Royals.

The easiest way for a tourist to check is to see if the Royal Standard is being flown as that signifies the Queen in residence. But if they do go on the chance of seeing the Queen or a member of Royalty then they are just stupid as most of the population of England have never seen one.

35 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

If we do abolish of the royals does that mean we have to change the British Constitution giving more powers to a president or prime minister?   At the moment Government and the royal family work just fine together.  

No, that's just something that is just assumed but not actually necessary.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I do believe they bring tourism into this country. 

I think you're overestimating how important the chance of seeing a royal is for tourism. Brighton Pavilion stopped being a royal residence in 1850 and that's always rammed with tourists.

• Like 1