The Royal Family Discussion Thread

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

My family and I were all booked to go to the Matlock illuminations on Saturday, incl staying the night, also booked and paid for.

We have just received an E Mail saying the illuminations "has been cancelled due to Death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II."

I think her death is significant, and a little sad as its the end of an era, but try as I might I cannot think cancelling the Matlock Bath illuminations is a proportionate reaction.....

You can choose morbid grief, virtue signalling with the likeminded, a la Diana, or celebrate her amazing life, with fireworks.

It's a 'free' country!

But I doubt these virtue signallers will spare a little time to put a few cheap flowers on grandma's grave, even if they still remember where they put her  :)

Edited by trastrick

25 minutes ago, trastrick said:

You can choose morbid grief, virtue signalling with the likeminded, a la Diana, or celebrate her amazing life.

It's a 'free' country!

Except , in this instance, it isn't actually  a free country because we do not have the choice of if we go to the Matlock Bath illuminations as, err, they've been cancelled.....

Any chance the Royal bank account will refund us for our hotel room ?

Edited by Chekhov

Guest makapaka
9 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

My family and I were all booked to go to the Matlock illuminations on Saturday, incl staying the night, also booked and paid for.

We have just received an E Mail saying the illuminations "has been cancelled due to Death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II."

I think her death is significant, and a little sad as its the end of an era, but try as I might I cannot think cancelling the Matlock Bath illuminations is a proportionate reaction.....

Course it’s not - it’s just being forced on people.

5 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Except , in this instance, it isn't actually  a free country because we do not have the choice of if we got the Matlock Bath illuminations as, err, they've been cancelled.....

Any chance the Royal bank account will refund us for our hotel room ?

Boo hoo 😢 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Cid said:

People are saying on Facebook that people shouldn't post the future of the monarchy. It's all ridiculous 

People say all kinds of things.

If you want to know what's really going on in the World, I would give Facebook, Twitter and ilk, a wide berth!

Edited by trastrick

15 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Course it’s not - it’s just being forced on people.

There is an irony here, I am pretty sure the Queen would not have approved of cancelling stuff, esp stuff like Football Matches and Matlock Bath illuminations, because of her death. She was all about British stiff upper lip, keep going, wartime spirit and all that. 

On the other hand I can see why the Royal Mail strike should have been called off, certainly today's (there's a clue in the name).

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

?

It hasn’t affected you. Doesn’t mean it hasn’t others - Chekhov’s example.

i know people who have spent a fortune to got to Plymouth this weekend and that’s been cancelled.