The Royal Family Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

We specifically booked accommodation to attend the illuminations (it's on reasonably late considering its about an hour and a quarter over unlit single carriageway roads back home) and then Gullivers the following day. It's pointless staying over night just to go to Gullivers on the Sunday.

We were supposed to be having a weekend away for my wife's birthday, and she is quite upset about it actually, and all for nothing because, as I have repeatedly said, I am certain the (ex) Queen would not have wanted all this. It is the anti thesis of her whole character.

More controversially, one could say that after Covid people are used to cancelling stuff at the drop of a hat so its yet another negative result of the way it was approached......

It's Crich BTW, and you can "wander over the tram tracks", in fact you have to to get about the place. Just like most of the tram system in Sheffield come to that.....

You could go swimming 

The "system", institutions, and King Charles III (governed by "The Palace") would have garnered much more respect by saying, "Business as usual" and then closing stuff down for two days before/after HM is laid to rest.  Two minutes' silence, applause before events would have been powerful; now...?

The media mawkishness is beginning to erode Queen Elizabeth II's memory and legacy.

4 minutes ago, steved32 said:

The "system", institutions, and King Charles III (governed by "The Palace") would have garnered much more respect by saying, "Business as usual" and then closing stuff down for two days before/after HM is laid to rest.  Two minutes' silence, applause before events would have been powerful; now...?

The media mawkishness is beginning to erode Queen Elizabeth II's memory and legacy.

I think I agree with you . As I sit listening to Elgars Nimrod 

Edited by hackey lad

Guest makapaka
12 minutes ago, steved32 said:

I’m no monarchist and I’m not at all affected by her death but I would have been fine with that. I understand it’s a big thing to some people

What’s going on now is just daft - and mawkish is the right word - it’s borderline nauseating.

2 hours ago, harvey19 said:

If you had insurance that may be worth enquiring about or if you paid by Visa credit.

Somewhat surprisingly Gullivers has accepted our cancellation of (and offered a refund for) our accommodation with them.

So that, plus the meal we would have had at a local restaurant, plus probably going on some fairground rides there, has probably cost the Matlock Bath economy around £200, plus my wife's upset at not having a planned birthday w/e away. All for something (the cancellation of stuff) that the Queen would never have wanted anyway.

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Lovely anecdotes from Theresa May and Boris Johnson 

Did he mention sending Mogg to lie to Her Majesty about the prorogation of parliament or having one of several parties during lockdown when Her Majesty was in mourning after her husbands death?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Lovely anecdotes from Theresa May and Boris Johnson 

I thought Keir Starmer’s speech today was excellent, I’ve been critical of him but I think he’s the PM in waiting. I’m not someone with the luxury of being untouched by life under a Tory government.

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

I thought Keir Starmer’s speech today was excellent, I’ve been critical of him but I think he’s the PM in waiting. I’m not someone with the luxury of being untouched by life under a Tory government.

Neither am I . Starmers speech was fine but I was referring to the funny anecdotes