The Royal Family Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Somewhat surprisingly Gullivers has accepted our cancellation of (and offered a refund for) our accommodation with them.

So that, plus the meal we would have had at a local restaurant, plus probably going on some fairground rides there, has probably cost the Matlock Bath economy around £200, plus my wife's upset at not having a planned birthday w/e away. All for something (the cancellation of stuff) that the Queen would never have wanted anyway.

What do you think is making people cancel events?  The official guidance says

"Major events, entertainment and sports

There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance

8 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

What about Boris when he lied to the Queen?

All in a day’s work for Johnson. 

To be fair to Hacks, he mostly just does one liners. You can’t expect him to be nuanced enough to comment properly on Johnson’s dishonesty.

You need Ecconoob for that sort of job.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Tyke02 said:

What do you think is making people cancel events?  The official guidance says

"Major events, entertainment and sports

There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance

Virtue signalling 

Just wondering if I shouldn’t go to work on Monday - out of respect and that?

the footballers, jockeys and cricketers have had to do it so I don’t want to be disrespectful.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Somewhat surprisingly Gullivers has accepted our cancellation of (and offered a refund for) our accommodation with them.

So that, plus the meal we would have had at a local restaurant, plus probably going on some fairground rides there, has probably cost the Matlock Bath economy around £200, plus my wife's upset at not having a planned birthday w/e away. All for something (the cancellation of stuff) that the Queen would never have wanted anyway.

I am amazed at the insight the Forum posters have. From knowing what the whole country wants, to knowing what dead people would have wanted...

Can you tell me tomorrow's lottery numbers?

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

What about Boris when he lied to the Queen?

He didn't have any credibility to lose. His Track record of being a liar, a cheat, a bully and a sexist bore preceded him.

24 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Virtue signalling

I suspect it's not virtue signalling so much as businesses/event organisers trying to avoid a twitter storm backlash from individuals trying to out do each other with performance grieving.

Edited by altus
  • Like 1