The Royal Family Discussion Thread

18 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I see the Mail is using the sad passing of the Queen as an opportunity to continue its pathetic vendetta with Meghan.

How Buckingham Palace 'was left incredulous' when Meghan said she was on her way to Balmoral | Daily Mail Online

I hope she sues them again.

And you are using the opportunity to put it on here . 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I see the Mail is using the sad passing of the Queen as an opportunity to continue its pathetic vendetta with Meghan.

How Buckingham Palace 'was left incredulous' when Meghan said she was on her way to Balmoral | Daily Mail Online

I hope she sues them again.

You're mistaken. The Mail isn't doing that. 

That's Megan Markles doing. I'll put money on it.

Let's just wait for her next podcast or interview. 

If she doesn't come out with "Oh i wanted to support my husband in his time of need but the nasty racist Palace hurt my fee fees and I felt unwelcome and unsafe so I didn't go. Look, the Daily Mail covered it so it must be true" then I'll admit I'm wrong but judging by her past shenanigans I could well be right.

Oh, by the way, I'm in no way defending the Mail.

It's a gutter rag like all tabloids. 

9 minutes ago, ThaBoom said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/trevor-sinclair-talksport-queen-death-24980157

I don't know why some people commit career suicide- as it may well be in Trevor Sinclair's case.

I don't either but in today's world people need to be seen and heard.  Even if they know their opinions will cause outrage. 

What I'm finding is that people such as Trevor Sinclair seem to think that they can speak on behalf of others. 

There's a video of a chip shop owner breaking out the champagne and dancing over the news. Needless to say she's had her chippy egged and had the police out. 

I don't know why people do this to themselves 

28 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

Trying to watch some thing interesting on TV  any suggestions , No football to watch today I just hope the Tour of Britain cycle race has not been cancelled they will have to pull a winner out of a hat .

Cricket is back on at 11am. And yes they cancelled the cycling for the final 3 stages.

Edited by HeHasRisen

10 hours ago, Tyke02 said:

What do you think is making people cancel events?  The official guidance says

"Major events, entertainment and sports

There is no obligation to cancel or postpone events and sporting fixtures, or close entertainment venues during the National Mourning period. This is at the discretion of individual organisations. As a mark of respect, organisations might wish to consider cancelling or postponing events or closing venues on the day of the State Funeral. They are under no obligation to do so and this is entirely at the discretion of individual organisations."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance/the-demise-of-her-majesty-queen-elizabeth-ii-national-mourning-guidance

Nobody is forcing any of these cancellations but I think organisations are worried if people will think they are uncaring or, even worse, unpatriotic. They want to be seen to be sensitive to people's feelings (though not so much for people who have arranged stuff, obviously), it's the ultimate accolade these days it would seem

I do think there is something in the theory, propounded by my wife in the midst her upset, that Covid has encouraged people to think stuff can just be cancelled, it's almost normal. None of this "the show must go on" or the British stiff upper lip, which, ironically, was the Queen's personality.

8 hours ago, Litotes said:

I am amazed at the insight the Forum posters have. From knowing what the whole country wants, to knowing what dead people would have wanted...

Can you tell me tomorrow's lottery numbers?

Sorry, I thought it was generally accepted that the Queen, and indeed her husband the Duke of Edinburgh, were both of that stiff upper lip, do not go over the top, the show must go on types. She, and he, served in the war, he actually fought in it.

Edited by Chekhov