The Royal Family Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Nobody is forcing any of these cancellations but I think organisations are worried if people will think they are uncaring or, even worse, unpatriotic. They want to be seen to be sensitive to people's feelings (though not so much for people who have arranged stuff, obviously), it's the ultimate accolade these days it would seem

I do think there is something in the theory, propounded by my wife in the midst her upset, that Covid has encouraged people to think stuff can just be cancelled, it's almost normal. None of this "the show must go on" or the British stiff upper lip, which, ironically, was the Queen's personality.

Sorry, I thought it was generally accepted that the Queen, and indeed her husband the Duke of Edinburgh, were both of that stiff upper lip, do not go over the top, the show must go on types. She, and he, served in the war, he actually fought in it.

I agree with most of your comments but you and your wife are obviously too young to remember the same reactions at the time of the death of her father.

No Covid connection there.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Cricket is back on at 11am. And yes they cancelled the cycling for the final 3 stages.

The stupidity of it all amazes me . Riders from across the Globe arrive here to compete in good faith ,  one death among the millions who die every day stops them (among others } doing what they have come for , OK she may have been a nice old lady but no different from the nice old ladies on our street who may have worked in factories or other hard jobs , no one turns a hair when they pass on .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

The stupidity of it all amazes me . Riders from across the Globe arrive here to compete in good faith ,  one death among the millions who die every day stops them (among others } doing what they have come for , OK she may have been a nice old lady but no different from the nice old ladies on our street who may have worked in factories or other hard jobs , no one turns a hair when they pass on .

To be honest and respecptful to the Queen, she on her 70 years of reign  was an hard act to follow, pardon the expression,  this only my opinion, but I really think this is the time to draw a line under the Monarchy.  Its Medievial and this country needs to Modernise and have a President. 

Edited by PRESLEY
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Leo Tomlinson said:

I would imagine that the nice old ladies would have supported the Queen.

They can't all be famous, but she represented them as a symbol of a woman who cared deeply about her fellow countrymen and women.

Was she perfect?

Well, compared to today's celebs who folks idolize and elevate to star status, J-Lo, Spice Girls, Kardshians, Brad and Jen, Brad and Angelina, and other assorted actresses, crooners and jesters, she's a 10!

Edited by trastrick

I agree Trastrick

- the politicians are at each others' throats all the time,  she was a pillar of peace,  what do some people want our palaces bought by foreign countries they are already buying up mansions, football teams and possibly our gold.

Edited by cressida

2 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

*Every at the Northern General and the Royal Hallamshire hospital are saddened by the news of the death of Queen Elizabeth II, therefore as a sign of respect all appointments/treatments/operations will not take place today.*

Better than COVID excuses, or that old standby, "the van broke down".  :)

But some, despite their grief, are still managing  to sell hambugers, beer and petrol.