The Royal Family Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

You have to admit all this pomp and ceremony must be costing a bomb.

I don't think people begrudge the queen a fitting state funeral, or Charles a splendid Coronation; these are once in a lifetime events, but for example, the herald thing was a bit of antiquated expensive nonsense, and the extent of all the protocols and other expensive Royal traditions IMO are over the top, particularly at a time of national hardship, and exactly what Charles was supposed to be slimming down (as well as the personnel.) 

Basically it just seems to be about giving the men in grey suits something to do. If it's all basically propaganda to cement Charles and the Monarchy into the Nation's consciousness, it's having the opposite effect on me. And we have 10 days of it.

And there was I feeling all warm and sentimental.... 

My bold.  

No I don't either but apparently at present, the total cost of the funeral, security, etc will not be disclosed to the public so any guess on the part of the media is just a guesstimate. 

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, West 77 said:

At a guess the cost to the taxpayer is zero for those helicopter pictures. I should imagine the media companies funded the cost of the helicopter which provided images for the whole World to appreciate. In any case the pictures provided by the helicopter are priceless. We saw history today and the beauty of the Scottish countryside which was the favourite place of Queen Elizabeth II.  There is nothing ridiculous about our great country respecting the passing of our greatest ever monarch.

How’s you’re mourning going? Enjoying it?

40 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Fine thank you 

You know what I’m just watching “The Queen Remembered”.....

They have shown how the royals were in private and to be honest I’m surprised to say the least not shocked but very surprised...

To me they should have presented themselves more in that manner more people might just have to warmed to them even more...

In private they seem very much a normal family....

I understand that they are royalty and have to be above everyone else or what is the point of having a royal family but I just wished she was aloud to be just like she was in private like I said she came across as normal....

I almost feel sorry for her having to serve all her life and not able to be her true self to her subjects....

Yes there has been scandals and even conspiracy’s but to live your all life to serve others must have had its toll i for one couldn’t have done it nor wanted too either...

Sad....

Lets just hope dapper Charlie boy does a good job....

Edited by Box11

6 hours ago, Box11 said:

You know what I’m just watching “The Queen Remembered”.....

They have shown how the royals were in private and to be honest I’m surprised to say the least not shocked but very surprised...

To me they should have presented themselves more in that manner more people might just have to warmed to them even more...

In private they seem very much a normal family....

I understand that they are royalty and have to be above everyone else or what is the point of having a royal family but I just wished she was aloud to be just like she was in private like I said she came across as normal....

I almost feel sorry for her having to serve all her life and not able to be her true self to her subjects....

Yes there has been scandals and even conspiracy’s but to live your all life to serve others must have had its toll i for one couldn’t have done it nor wanted too either...

Sad....

Lets just hope dapper Charlie boy does a good job....

How do we evaluate his performance, would this be by him being credited for say, a reduction in energy costs, or conversely blamed for an increase? I see him as a possible ‘door opener’, where said door has been locked and bolted to mere politicians. Perhaps a meeting with Putin could pave the way to a return of conviviality between our two nations, who knows?

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

How do we evaluate his performance, would this be by him being credited for say, a reduction in energy costs, or conversely blamed for an increase? I see him as a possible ‘door opener’, where said door has been locked and bolted to mere politicians. Perhaps a meeting with Putin could pave the way to a return of conviviality between our two nations, who knows?

Russia got rid of his relations , They now have there own King

Edited by Leo Tomlinson

16 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold.  

No I don't either but apparently at present, the total cost of the funeral, security, etc will not be disclosed to the public so any guess on the part of the media is just a guesstimate. 

We all know why that is don't we?

It's costing a bomb, and if we knew exactly how much we'd probably all turn republican overnight. 

On the other hand, as taxpayers who are footing the bill in a time of Austerity, don't we have a right to know?

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We all know why that is don't we?

It's costing a bomb, and if we knew exactly how much we'd probably all turn republican overnight. 

On the other hand, as taxpayers who are footing the bill in a time of Austerity, don't we have a right to know?

I think we should be told.