The Royal Family Discussion Thread

3 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Well seeing as Charles is not falling over himself to engage with the authorities, It is not proved true or false. We only have the word of the chief exec Fawcett (who has since stepped down) and Charles himself.  

Might have to help me out here. I can't really think of any good points. Please don't state the unproven tourism tripe.

If I understand your meaning of the "institution" and its importance, I agree with you. it is important that we end the process of hereditary succession. 

You say you have read a fair bit about the family. You must have been very selective in what you have read, if you have never come across any of the items I have pointed you to.

Please don't take my replies the wrong way. If you and others are still supportive of the royal family and monarchy after doing a bit of research into what they are really like, then fair enough. I strongly suspect this is not the case though, and there is a lot of blind faith, and the turning of blind eyes going on.

I have read about the faults and fully understand your lack of support because of individuals behaviour.

My main support for the Monarchy s that in times of war or disaster people from all political viewpoints can come together under one unifying point which is the Monarchy.

The armed forces and civil powers  swear allegiance to The Crown and so are non political.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Have you seen the crowds in Edinburgh today showing their respects ?

Thousands who support the monarchy.

I know that bit of Edinburgh very well and that is one enormous queue.  If it's still snaking through the Meadows as it was last night, not everyone will get in by a long way.

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I have read about the faults and fully understand your lack of support because of individuals behaviour.

My main support for the Monarchy s that in times of war or disaster people from all political viewpoints can come together under one unifying point which is the Monarchy.

The armed forces and civil powers  swear allegiance to The Crown and so are non political.

Unfortunately Charles is not so non-political himself. He has a track record of interfering and trying to influence government policy. For example Google "black spider memos".

My lack of support is not just down to the individual royal family members behaviour, although for a family that is often quoted as inspirational, the behaviour has been shocking at times. It is, as I quoted down to hereditary succession to power. You, me, nor anyone outside that family can ever be head of state, not because we are not worthy, but because we don't have the right parents. Are you happy with that?

There is no other way than hereditary succession to power that could work to maintain our Monarchy.

I am happy with the situation.

Do you think You could become head of state if there wasn't a monarchy ?

You have agin referred to the negative points but ignore my positive points about a unifying body.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Where are all these gyms that close on Bank Holidays?

Even the ones owned by SIV open on bank holidays, this was last time out...

And oh look, even Heeley Baths were open... 

FB-IMG-1663067705375.jpg

Ponds Forge normally opens 7.00 to 9.00.

Stocksbridge leisure centre is actually closed on Monday.

What point are you trying to make here in arguing against facts ?

Not arguing against the facts, merely pointing out there are less people outraged about this than you think. 

Why does the FB post Stocksbridge Leisure Centre made announcing the closure currently have ZERO replies to it? Surely loads of people will have replied to have a good 'ol moan?

As for Ponds Forge not being open as long, well imagine if people could change their routines slightly just for one day and either go at a different time, or maybe have Monday off and go a different day in the week? Unhealthy to go to the gym every day anyway.  You make it sound like its the end of the world.

Have you asked the leisure centre for a refund?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well why has not a single person moaned about it on Facebook? Strange, dont you think?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid024WgyWEXP1nXRyET7iH36UxCJJqhsFbpw9qPxok82kGkswFPcFbrq3YVdXVM6ufvBl&id=100063490664791

I don't give  a **** about Facebook, I suspect many people on there will not say what they actually think because they don't want others coming out with a load of self righteous criticism of them.  But, again, what point are you trying to make here anyway ? 

Are you saying all those people who use, say, Stocksbridge leisure centre aren't bothered it shutting ? If so why do they bother going normally ?

You're talking cobblers man.

I am not on Facebook and never want to be for a whole load of reasons.

A friend of mine is on it but limits how often she goes on "because it's poisonous", something I have heard from more than just her.

As you know I am also very ****ed off with Facebook anyway because that is the excuse some schools (incorrectly) use to try and stop people taking pics of their kids school functions.

4 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There is no other way than hereditary succession to power that could work to maintain our Monarchy.

I am happy with the situation.

Do you think You could become head of state if there wasn't a monarchy ?

You have agin referred to the negative points but ignore my positive points about a unifying body.

Don't maintain the monarchy, abolish it. Then we can have a democratically elected head of state, who is answerable to the laws of the country, and not able to hide behind law exemptions designed for their sole benefit.

No, I am not clever enough to be head of state, but thousands of others are.

I haven't ignored your point about a unifying body. I explained why your point about the royal family providing a non-political unifying platform was flawed.

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

I

Are you saying all those people who use, say, Stocksbridge leisure centre aren't bothered it shutting ? If so why do they bother going normally ?

I couldn't care less about your hatred of Facebook so I snipped all that

They have 3,300 people on their page and not a single one has posted  to register their dissatisfaction, on a platform  people usually vent on. Odd, eh?