The Royal Family Discussion Thread

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You make it sound like its the end of the world.

Sorry where did I do that ?

Quite the opposite, I actually pointed out that compared with shutting leisure centres (and schools) etc for seven ******* months it is nothing, and therefore most people don't even notice it, such is yet another negative effect of suppressing society in a futile attempt to try and suppress Covid (a virus 99% of people survived and with an average age of death in the mid 80s.,....)

2 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Don't maintain the monarchy, abolish it. Then we can have a democratically elected head of state, who is answerable to the laws of the country, and not able to hide behind law exemptions designed for their sole benefit.

No, I am not clever enough to be head of state, but thousands of others are.

I haven't ignored your point about a unifying body. I explained why your point about the royal family providing a non-political unifying platform was flawed.

My main point was regarding unifying the people and the non political nature of the armed forces and civil powers and is not flawed but very important.

I do not think the idea of a democratically elected head of state would be realistic as money, media and spin doctors would really choose the person by their influence, or may I suggest political leanings.

If you or anyone wants influence in how the country is run  the way is to join a political party and work to be leader of that party and become Prime Minister.

We will never agree but it has been interesting debating with you.

21 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I couldn't care less about your hatred of Facebook so I snipped all that

They have 3,300 people on their page and not a single one has posted  to register their dissatisfaction, on a platform  people usually vent on. Odd, eh?

I suspect many people on there will not say what they actually think because they don't want others coming out with a load of self righteous criticism of them.  But, again, what point are you trying to make here anyway ? 

Are you saying all those people who use, say, Stocksbridge leisure centre aren't bothered about it shutting ?

If so why do they bother going normally ?

You're talking cobblers man.

Just now, Chekhov said:

Are you saying all those people who use, say, Stocksbridge leisure centre aren't bothered about it shutting ?

If so why do they bother going normally ?

You're talking cobblers man.

Where are all the complaints then?

I only see one.

You.

As per usual.

11 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

My main point was regarding unifying the people and the non political nature of the armed forces and civil powers and is not flawed but very important.

In what way does the monarchy unify the people?  You must be aware that there are a significant number of people who whilst being loyal to the country do not hold any loyalty to the crown.

If those people take the swearing of an oath seriously they are prevented from becoming members of quite a number of trades and professions,

They cannot join the Police service, the Armed Forces, Judiciary or any other organisation which requires an oath of allegiance to the crown as part of its terms and conditions of employment.

The monarchy is in fact divisive.