The Royal Family Discussion Thread

5 minutes ago, blackydog said:

You said we can unite under monarchy in the event of war. He was a nazi sympathiser who passed information to the enemy, likely costing thousands of allied lives. 

It was his decision to abdicate in order to marry divorcee Simpson. Not exactly fulfilling his duty was he. After his abdication in 1936 he went on to be a field officer. It was during this role he "leaked" strategic information to the enemy forces.

I said in times of war.

His sympathies were misguided and as a result look at his life in exile until his death.

12 minutes ago, makapaka said:

It’s closing food banks, for people who are desperate. 

In the case of the Feed Brum project in Birmingham / they provide a cooked breakfast each day to the homeless and hungry - so the person gets at least one hot meal a day.

that’s also been closed though. So no food for the homeless and hungry.

Can you answer the question posed?

6 minutes ago, m williamson said:

It can only unite people of different political beliefs if they are all monarchists.

Tiny minority? According to figures compiled by Statista there are over 25.5 million people in the UK that either don't want a monarchy or have serious doubts about it. You believe that the majority of them would ignore their conscience and swear an oath to something they don't believe in to suit their own agenda?

I prefer to think that people have more self regard and honour than that. I can see why you may not think the same way as you support a King that stood in front of the nation and swore a wedding vow to be faithful to his bride while having no intention of doing so even as he stood before the alter.

There is a simple way of resolving the matter, all official oaths required in order to serve in government connected jobs should be taken to the country not the crown. Problem solved.

Problem not solved as it would lead to political bias.

How many people refused to swear an oath to the monarch during conscription.?

How many people who wished to join the armed services or civil powers have decided not to join as it entailed swearing an oath ?

Just now, harvey19 said:

Problem not solved as it would lead to political bias.

How many people refused to swear an oath to the monarch during conscription.?

How many people who wished to join the armed services or civil powers have decided not to join as it entailed swearing an oath ?

You need to explain how swearing an oath to the country would lead to political biase. The oath would be one of allegiance to the Country no political party would be mentioned, no person would be mentioned, it would simply state the persons loyalty to the country and its people. So in what way would it involve political biase?

As for how many people have decided not to join something that would entail them lying we can't know can we? However, someone with the strength of character not to be prepared to lie for their own benefit is in fact exactly the type of person we should be wanting to fill those positions.

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I said in times of war.

His sympathies were misguided and as a result look at his life in exile until his death.

It was in times of war.  They then sent him to the Bahamas out of the way, after he was accused of leaking secret war plans. Are you still defending him as a member of the royal family, and still believe there was a position of unity?

You are aware of the Windsor families heritage, and their name change to appear more British?

44 minutes ago, m williamson said:

You need to explain how swearing an oath to the country would lead to political biase. The oath would be one of allegiance to the Country no political party would be mentioned, no person would be mentioned, it would simply state the persons loyalty to the country and its people. So in what way would it involve political biase?

As for how many people have decided not to join something that would entail them lying we can't know can we? However, someone with the strength of character not to be prepared to lie for their own benefit is in fact exactly the type of person we should be wanting to fill those positions.

If we did not have a monarchy the President/Prime Minister would be head of state.

It is people who are loyal to the Crown that we need in the armed forces.

Have you noticed there is a crown on most military and police badges ?

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I've no interest in the girl/woman or Prince Andrew.

The police were correct in arresting the yob.  If someone wants to shout abuse at Prince Andrew then they should choose a time and place which doesn't coincide with the current events marking the death of Queen Elizabeth II our greatest ever monarch.

You see, I think that some other things should have happened.

The ex HRH Andrew should have been dealt with properly by the royal family. They should have kicked him out. Taking part in grooming and child sex trafficking isn’t an activity that a royal should have any part of.

Also, the ex HRH Andrew should have kept a discrete distance in all of this, instead of popping up all over. He’s every right to mourn his mother’s death, but there are ways to do it, especially if you have disgraced the family.

So, a random bloke shouting a bit is almost irrelevant in this context.

50 minutes ago, blackydog said:

It was in times of war.  They then sent him to the Bahamas out of the way, after he was accused of leaking secret war plans. Are you still defending him as a member of the royal family, and still believe there was a position of unity?

You are aware of the Windsor families heritage, and their name change to appear more British?

I am fully aware of all this. We were not at war with Germany at the time if I remember rightly, but I am sure you can Google it.

I have not defended him if you read my earlier post.

The unity of the population is what I have referred to.

Are you aware of my earlier posts regarding the institution and not individuals ?

Edited by harvey19