The Royal Family Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Then the problem can be solved by the oath being sworn to the country can't it?

Yes if, if , if, that's what those responsible for the future of a country are supposed to do, take into account what could happen to endanger the country and its people and try to prevent it by enacting laws and protocols to deal with malicious possibilities.

A true democracy has a written constitution explaining the rights and responsibilities of its citizens that can be read and understood by everyone.

It has a voting system which truly reflects the wishes of the people and an elected legislative/ parliament and upper house/ senate.

The people are sovereign and the state cannot change the constitution without permission from the people.

The UK has none of those things and is vulnerable to political ideological change as a result.  An example of that being the current governments attitude to the Human Rights Act.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/lords/media-centre/house-of-lords-media-notices/2019/january-2019/human-rights-act-is-not-safe-after-brexit/

And before you tell us all that you have no problem with that, have a look at the explanation under the heading What is the Human Rights Act? 

https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/your-rights/the-human-rights-act/

The Council of Europe is not part of the EU, it has 46 member states including the UK. Set up just after WW2 the UK is a founding member but after Brexit we are considering leaving .

You are creating solutions to a non existing problem.

Just because a minority do not like the monarchy it is no reason to change it.

I think this has been debated long enough now and it is obvious neither side is going to change their viewpoint.

23 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Where did I say I came down on the side of Andrew ?

I reckon at the end of the day, the Edinburgh protester will get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrists.  Whereas as this guy might end up with no wrists to slap?

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/man-arrested-claiming-mecca-pilgrimage-queen.980543

Once again, wrong place, wrong time. 

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I reckon at the end of the day, the Edinburgh protester will get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrists.  Whereas as this guy might end up with no wrists to slap?

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/man-arrested-claiming-mecca-pilgrimage-queen.980543

Once again, wrong place, wrong time. 

Now that IS asking for trouble.

And I'm sure he'll get it too.

Edited by The_DADDY

Just listening to Iain Dale and he's talking about the inappropriate 'gestures' that some companies are introducing as a 'mark of respect' to the Queen. Centre Parks are closing their doors to paying guests at their holiday resorts on Monday - that means if a family or individual has booked in there next week, they'll have to find somewhere else for 24hours!

Backlash as Center Parcs to close for Queen's funeral - BBC News

Sainsburys have taken the decision to switch off their monitors at the self service check outs on Monsay as a mark of respect to the Queen.

🤪

I wonder if the Daily Mail are getting their knickers in a twist about all the virtue signaling like they normally do? Or is this one bit of virtue signaling they approve of? 

I do remember when Princess Diana died, Pizza Hut decided to name a pizza after her. Understandably there was consternation - saying how tasteless it was.

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Just listening to Iain Dale and he's talking about the inappropriate 'gestures' that some companies are introducing as a 'mark of respect' to the Queen. Centre Parks are closing their doors to paying guests at their holiday resorts on Monday - that means if a family or individual has booked in there next week, they'll have to find somewhere else for 24hours!

Backlash as Center Parcs to close for Queen's funeral - BBC News

Sainsburys have taken the decision to switch off their monitors at the self service check outs on Monsay as a mark of respect to the Queen.

🤪

I wonder if the Daily Mail are getting their knickers in a twist about all the virtue signaling like they normally do? Or is this one bit of virtue signaling they approve of? 

I do remember when Princess Diana died, Pizza Hut decided to name a pizza after her. Understandably there was consternation - saying how tasteless it was.

I have heard Sainsburys is closing for the day