The Royal Family Discussion Thread

Indeed. The Royal diversion has been a Godsend to the government. It's taken minds off what a dire state we're in, and given them the time to work out how they're going to explain it all away and do sweet FA.

We're very good at pageantry. But not much else... 

• Like 1

I am not usually in favour of positive discrimination, but I did think it was a pity there were not more non white faces, particularly in the bearer party and the sailors pulling the gun carriage. Is it just that there aren't many black sailors ?

Just out of interest, how do they go about choosing which sailors haul the gun carriage, I'd have thought there would be an excess of volunteers ?

Interestingly there was a mixed race soldier in the Scottish bearer party :

LOS-20220912-0783-HM%20Queen%20at%20St%2

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I am not usually in favour of positive discrimination, but I did think it was a pity there were not more non white faces, particularly in the bearer party and the sailors pulling the gun carriage. Is it just that there aren't many black sailors ?

Just out of interest, how do they go about choosing which sailors haul the gun carriage, I'd have thought there would be an excess of volunteers ?

Ethnic minorities only make up under 10% of the armed forces

Did you want them to be chosen because they weren't white?

Thats racist 

41 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Ethnic minorities only make up under 10% of the armed forces

Did you want them to be chosen because they weren't white?

That's racist 

No, but 10% of the bearer party would be 0.8, rounded to one.

142 sailors pulled the gun carriage, 10% of that is 14.2 round it down to 14.

I am not generally in favour of positive discrimination which I consider patronising and discriminatory, however, this is not quite the same situation as giving someone  a job who may not be the best qualified, or even not able to do it that well, just because they are non white.

I would have thought there are more than 142 sailors who can pull a gun carriage in the Royal Navy, therefore one has to choose between (what I assume would be) an excess of volunteers.

Let's be honest, the funeral was a spectacle, and an exceptional one, and was always meant to be so, therefore what it looks like counts. Why, for instance did they have Canadian Mounties leading the whole thing ? One, because they look good, but two, because it sent a powerful message about the Commonwealth etc.

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Always something to moan about and trying to cause division.

What about being happy at a wonderfully performed event even though it was a sad and emotional time.

6 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

What about being happy at a wonderfully performed event even though it was a sad and emotional time.

Hmmm... :huh:

There's obviously a lot of closet Royalists on the forum...

... in particular, big fans of Queen Victoria! :hihi: ("We are not amused")

15 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I thought the funeral was amazing, a stunning spectacle in fact, but I cannot say it was sad. The Queen was 96 and, more importantly, till almost the last few days of her life, had a quality of life most people of that age can only dream of. I am certain she would not want to still be here as Queen for years to come going downhill physically and cognitively.

Edited by Chekhov