The Royal Family Discussion Thread

8 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Isn't it about time all public buildings had large framed portraits of our King on display.

Perhaps after the coronation framed portraits of our King will be on display in public buildings. 

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Yes that is the appropriate time.

The portrait displayed the most in public buildings of our late Queen was painted in 1955 by Annigoni  which was two years after her coronation.  I'm guessing a top artist will be asked to paint a portrait of our new King after his coronation.  There are portraits of the now King but they were painted when he was Prince Charles.

• 2 months later...

For years people have argued whether or not we should have a Royal family, and that if we should, what kind of role it should play in todays World..

Should it be old and stuffy, a moth-eaten metaphor for the Britain that once was? Or should it have a more meaningful role than opening hospices and asking visiting dignitaries from Bongo Bongo land where they've come from....

And if it does have a more meaningful  role, what should it be? I mean , how can you move something along when it has the millstone of history around it's neck?

You can't..

So how's this for a brilliant idea I've just had...

You simply cut those irksome ties with the past and move the Royal family into the most modern arena of them all......

We, in this country, have a craving for soap operas, Coronation St. and Eastenders are watched by millions of people every night.

We can't, it seems, get enough of who said what to whom, and what the ramifications of that might be..

Other peoples lives, other peoples trivia, we lap it up...

Then we had the saucer of Big Brother, and when you think about it,  it's just another soap opera only with no story lines, no plot, and no action..Just a lot of very clever editing to make these dreary non-people look interesting........

And boy, does it work, Jane Goody, who was part woman and part scientific blunder became a household name.

Is there room for more?  Love Island, I'm a celebrity get me out of here,

More soap. more bit-part nobodies to feed the insatiable hunger of the legions of viewers.

Yes, of course there is, I give you "THE ROYAL FAMILY"

We turn the whole dam fiasco into a reality soap opera, stripped across the week's TV schedules with late night updates and a big publicity machine to feed the morning papers..

At present the cost of the Royal family to each taxpayer in Britain is 60p a year.

That looks like bad value when all the key players ever do is open stuff and talk to vegetables, but 60p a year for a five times a week soap opera , that would be the best value television in the world..

Of course, soap opera's need a proper villain, someone with a real grudge against the Windsors, and I know just the man:

Mohamed al-Fayed whose son died in a car crash in Paris with the eco-mentalist first wife.

Jesus,

What scriptwriter could have come up with plot line as good as that?

We already have a cast of characters , there's Princess Anne as Miss Ellie, Quite and dignified, always in charge.

Wills could be JR. Harry could be Bobby, and Charles, who has no equivalent in Dallas, only because they never thought to include an eco-mentalist uncle who talks to his food and gets cross with buildings...

We even have a modern day interpretation of Pam in the increasingly gorgeous shape of Zara Philips.. She'd pop up from time to time in dresses with lower and lower necklines on the arm of her boyfriend, who plays Rugby for his country.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

The story's already been written, the characters are already in place, so no clever editing is necessary. We have the house -several houses actually- and best of all, the family, with the possible exception of Andrew, and maybe Anne. would leap at the chance to have their currently rather silly lives given some meaning and purpose..

I'm not joking, being born into a "Soap Opera" is no more stupid than being born into a Royal Family.

Just imagine the first episode kicking of with Harry fiddling with the bosums of a blonde, and then under the glare of the watching camera, he slips into his Hermann Goering outfit, bends her over the DJ's deck and gives her a good seeing to.

The nation would be hooked.

Why not, will they oblige?

Well, that's just the point, that's the fizz, because we just don't know.

Of course, we could employ scriptwriters, but no matter how good they might be, they'd never come up with what the Royal family manages all by itself.......