The Royal Family Discussion Thread

20 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

There’s nothing wrong with Rule Britannia or Land of Hope and Glory.

Also I like the hymn I Vow To Thee My Country which I always think is a soldier’s song, but that’s just my opinion.  However I’m not sure those songs would go down very well with The Black Life Matter Movement if one of them was to become the new National Anthem.  Wasn’t there some controversy about those songs being played at Last Night Of The Proms and they tried to get them banned because they were to patriotic.  I say leave things as they are why complicate things.

I’m a Royalist so I want to keep God Save The Queen and I hope she has many more years to live.  

Agreed  the Hymn you mentioned  is more of a Soldiers  song, I like Jerusalem but that to me is more a Public School song.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

Agreed  the Hymn you mentioned  is more of a Soldiers  song, I like Jerusalem but that to me is more a Public School song.

I always thought it was more to do with The Women’s Institute,  they always sing it at their meetings. Lol.    But yes it’s another nice song.   Think I’ll have to see if I can watch the film Calendar Girls again.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

We can't have Jerusalem.  It only mentions England, so while we still have a Union, that would be out.  Also there's inference of the place, Jerusalem itself that would possibly offend a few sections of society.  I could see some making connections with the Crusades, so it wouldn't be inclusive. 

If we're going to have a new anthem, let's have one like the Italians have.  It's brilliant.  To listen to the music, it conjures up images of the circus coming to town. 

Alternatively, let's have one like the Spanish with no words at all.  Can't offend anyone & it would save everyone the embarrassment of mumbling. 

I respect our national anthem. As a small boy I sang 'God save the king'...I don't suppose many on here can say that.

But it's not he greatest tune.  Funny how those for, say France (enthusiastic), Italy (operatic)and Germany (stern)sound just right for those nations. And I like the Australian anthem.

However, I was once in Cardiff Arms Park, and 40,000 welsh voices sang Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - all in tune I might add. It was very, very emotional. Because they meant it. Which is why I respect the Welsh as a nation, although I was born in Sheffield. 

2 hours ago, Cyclecar said:

I respect our national anthem. As a small boy I sang 'God save the king'...I don't suppose many on here can say that.

But it's not he greatest tune.  Funny how those for, say France (enthusiastic), Italy (operatic)and Germany (stern)sound just right for those nations. And I like the Australian anthem.

However, I was once in Cardiff Arms Park, and 40,000 welsh voices sang Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - all in tune I might add. It was very, very emotional. Because they meant it. Which is why I respect the Welsh as a nation, although I was born in Sheffield. 

It should be about the country not a person, and as someone has already pointed out you can’t get England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland into an anthem sensibly. As the United Kingdom would no longer exist we would have to make the best of Great Britain (GB), I wouldn’t think that too difficult for one/some of our talented lyricists to work with a brand new tune.