The Royal Family Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe the queen still believes she was put on the throne by God, and has Divine right to rule.

Do any of her subjects actually believe that? I doubt it.

This country is class riddled because of this nonsense. 

The Victorians firmly believed that everyone was born into their place in society, and it was an affront to God to try and change the order of things, thus you were expected to 'know your place' and not aspire to anything more or you would incur the wrath of God. Very useful for maintaining order.

Times have changed, but the aristocracy still sit comfortably behind this crap, having done nothing to earn their wealth and privileges.

In Victorian times most industries need massive amounts of unskilled workers and that is why people knew their place.

You make a supposition about what the Queen believes without any proof.

A rich tapestry of variety is what makes our country what it is.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

In Victorian times most industries need massive amounts of unskilled workers and that is why people knew their place.

You make a supposition about what the Queen believes without any proof.

A rich tapestry of variety is what makes our country what it is.

I thought it was subjugation of other people and empire building that made our country what it is today? 

Just now, Anna B said:

I believe the queen still believes she was put on the throne by God, and has Divine right to rule.

Do any of her subjects actually believe that? I doubt it.

This country is class riddled because of this nonsense. 

The Victorians firmly believed that everyone was born into their place in society, and it was an affront to God to try and change the order of things, thus you were expected to 'know your place' and not aspire to anything more or you would incur the wrath of God. Very useful for maintaining order.

Times have changed, but the aristocracy still sit comfortably behind this crap, having done nothing to earn their wealth and privileges.

A  society that accepts the class status quo. is a dying society.

In a democracy it takes the consent of the willing to place their,  health, housing, education in the hands of the ruling aristocracy.

A few handouts to the peasants. "government benefits" to keep them in their place, and it can perpetuate, until somebody says  NO! Enough!

They can even denounce and scoff at a great society, where the very poorest minority can, and do, rise to the very top to lead the country.   That is true democracy!

A country that chose freedom over serfdom, some 250 years ago. And seeming to be on the verge of taking it back from the precipice of personal dependency,  in 2022/24

Not perfect, but what is?

It may well be another 250 years before other 

17 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Forget duty, these are in it  for the dosh and cushy privaligde life style.  :roll:

In all honesty I would rather have my lifestyle to theirs.

Maybe if we still had portraits of the monarch displayed in homes and schools, the national anthem was sung more regularly and people stood at the end of films in cinemas whilst the national anthem was being played we would have less dissent and a feeling of belonging and respect. 

Perhaps an opportunity could be given to critics of the royal family to shadow a member for 3 months to experience the reality of their life.

Edited by harvey19

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

In all honesty I would rather have my lifestyle to theirs.

Maybe if we still had portraits of the monarch displayed in homes and schools, the national anthem was sung more regularly and people stood at the end of films in cinemas whilst the national anthem was being played we would have less dissent and a feeling of belonging and respect. 

Perhaps an opportunity could be given to critics of the royal family to shadow a member for 3 months to experience the reality of their life.

Some members of the royal family are hard working, but a lot more aren't. What for example is the point of Beatrice and Eugenie? Or Andrew for that matter who seemed to do nothing in his role as ambassador for business other than feather his own nest? 

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Some members of the royal family are hard working, but a lot more aren't. What for example is the point of Beatrice and Eugenie? Or Andrew for that matter who seemed to do nothing in his role as ambassador for business other than feather his own nest? 

Just like all families.

Let us not forget how Andrew served his country in the Falklands war.

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So did thousands of other people in the armed services... 

But they were not royalty and as many suggest that if royalty has privileges he could have avoided life threatening military service but he did not instead he served his country.