Breakbeat? anyone?

hello there. just returned to sheffield after six years. whenever was back for a visit i'd go to urban gorilla at charles st. always great, great fun. then the last time i was visiting (spring 2005) it had moved to zero (?) and it seemed to my breaks-newbie ears (i'm still not that sure about the sub-genres or owt like that) more like funky house. which i didn't enjoy as much. i found the atmosphere less friendly too. i've heard that, apart from the odd night, it has gone downhill. so, questions:

1) how do people rate urban gorilla now?

a) if good, where is it these days?

b) if bad, where do people recommend?

having only discovered breakbeat relatively recently, i'm getting a bit scared when people start talking about these breaks sub-genres. so

2) if i say i like the freestylers (older stuff) freq nasty, plump djs, krafty kuts, some evil nine, that one tune by moguai, another one by the capoeira twins, does anyone have an idea what kind of breakbeat that is? apart from leaning towards mainstream, i know that much.

3) does it matter? on reflection.

i'm openminded, i just prefer stuff with big bass and interesting beats. if i don't find a decent breaks night i'm sure there are plenty of hip hop/dub/other music nights to enjoy. really excited about rediscovering sheffield.

i'd be very happy to hear people's opinions.

bec

I'm a bit of an Urban Gorilla regular. It's still fab IMO. Evil Nine played a couple of weeks ago, absolutely awesome night, and really nice guys.

Plump DJ's on at the end of this month!

Have a look on the UG messageboard for more details. One of the things I love most about UG is the atmosphere - everyone is relaxed and friendly, and always look out for each other, but up for a fantastic night too!! It's now in either The Room (above Sutra) or in Fusion&Foundry at Sheffield Union once a month.

This Way Up is a wicked night too, think it has moved from the Everyone Centre now, but not sure?!

UG isn't purely breaks anymore, it's allsorts of underground 'dance' music - roughly - as it encompasses house, breaks, techno etc. Just nowt cheesey and nowt they tend to play at TTC (very rough guide, I know). Check the website http://www.urban-gorilla.co.uk

They're at Sheffield Uni SU now, Fusion & Foundry, with pre-club sessions at DQ late bar (as well as occasional after-parties there). They also do 'UG Undercover' @ the Room (FKA Fez Club) where they don't announce the DJs, just give a few clues and ask you to trust them. :thumbsup: It's basically still going strong but has broadened it's horizons since you were there last.

If you like breaks and like em funky, you won't go far wrong with the next big UG at F&F with the Fingerlickin' Records birthday party, inc afterparty @ DQ.

Now you know!

For me the line between house and breaks nights have become far too blurred - you can tell a house tune by the 4/4 kick - you can't call it breaks by just lobbing a snare over every other kick - for the uneducated that is not a break beat - that is an even tempo'd beat!!

I'm finding many supposed underground nights to be a bit hit and miss lately - but i suppose in urban gorillas defence they are making the night diverse which is always good its just house aint my cup of tea.

breakbeat has been really good in sheffield over the last year - in particular, urban gorilla has been immense. The good nites have been on at the sheffield union - but it is open to all. Fusion and foundary are in fact great venues - dark, low ceiling and dirty.

Seen evil nine there, as well as the likes of Adam Freeland and Plump djs - i wasnt into bb until last september when i went and the nights have all been well and truely awesome - they kinda converted me from heedkandi house and gatecrasher trance to be honest so they must have been pretty good as i was really into the styles back in the day.

UG did a really great after party after the last UG at sheff union when deep dish and nic fanciulli played - was proper mint!

plug on the other hand has been pretty hit and miss tbh...

WELCOME BACK TO SHEFFIELD!!

I went to the UG at the Room to see Evil Nine and ended up leaving before they took the stage.

I'm not sure why, as I used to be a regular au UG at .zero and before then, but for some reason this night didn't seem to get off the ground for me.

No one looked as though they were enjoying themselves- you could see people on the dance floor just standing around and occasionally nodding their heads.

As I said, I left at about 2, which disappointed me in some ways as I love Evil Nine but I couldn't be bothered being there until they took the stage.

Tom (I think is his name- used to be on the social committee when I was at uni if that helps!!) even started joking with me as we were leaving, and I honestly replied to him that if I thought the night was any better I would have stayed.

So it is me? I still enjoy the Tuesday Club, and Roni Size this weekend should rule all, but what is it about UG and Plug? Since UG left .zero I haven't really benn wanting to go back to either. Am I getting old? God, don't say I'm not, please!

Hey Bec, I've only been to UG once and that was at Sheffield Union. Like you I like the older breaks like Freestylers and love Krafty Kuts and I saw A Skillz in Sheffield at Takapuna bar a while back. UG still has a big following and the upcoming nights look really good. I've not been enough times to really be able to say much but if you liked it before I'm sure you'll like it now, despite being in different venues.

If you like bass you should check out some of the drum and bass in Sheffield, there's always lots of info on here.

Have fun x

so possibly i just went on a bad night last year.

hoba, getting older just means having less stamina to stay at a night you're not enjoying. nights out take their toll more as one's years advance, you have to weigh these things up. so be picky eh. my mum loves breaks too, but goes to only a couple of select nights a year. usually the plumps.

penny, thanks for telling me about the 30th. i will be there. so will my mum.

kidphunk, cheers for the technical info. i knew what kicks and snares are already, which made me feel like less of a novice.

thanks for the welcome.

bec

Archived